Strawberry Filling

Decorating By hollyscakes Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm by ShelleyMJ

hollyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyscakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 3

i'm doing a 4 layer cake. i'm thinking about doing a fresh strawberry filling in between 2 layers. can you just put the strawberries in or do you have to mix them with something? do you put frosting down first then the berries? and does the fresh fruit have any adverse effects on your finished cake?

thanks for the help!

2 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 3

You can do either fresh strawberries or preserves/jam. If you do fresh they have to be placed fairly close to the day the cake is due. You can slice or chop them and place them on your filling of choice. I have never placed them as a filling alone. To preserve them further(if you go with fresh fruit you can also cover them with a light layer of fruit or strawberry glaze. If you choose a preserve type filling then it is great used alone or with another filling and you will have less problems with it being perishable like the fresh.hth icon_smile.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 3

I use the recipe for chunky strawberry filling i got here on CC. I love it and it's easy!

16 oz bag of whole frozen strawberries thawed
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbs corn starch

I roughly chop the strawberries, put all ingredients in pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and let cool before putting on cake.

I always make a dam on my cakes before filling so I don't have a mess on the sides of my cake.

Hopefully this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%