Coloring Mmf Fondant...troubleshooting!

Decorating By CakeTitans Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm by FlourPots

CakeTitans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTitans Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hey All! I am having trouble coloring my MMF lately. Every time I'm tinting with a lot of color, ie: Red, Black, Dark Brown, the fondant starts to act dry and crack. It just kinda starts to fall apart. I don't know if it's being overworked with all the kneeding or what, but I don't remember ever having this problem in the past and I haven't changed anything. Any suggestions? TIA!!

5 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 6

Well I am certainly no expert, but having just made red MMF, this is what I have learned...

To get the darker colors, add cocoa powder in placeof some of the powdered sugar (for red I only added about 1/4 cup in an 8-cup powdered sugar recipe. Add less of the PS than you need or add more liquid; adding the cocoa powder dries it up more. By adding the cocoa, you will be able to add less coloring. Add any coloring in the liquid stage...it's okay to add a bit, as when it is mixed with the white powdered sugar it will lighten up.

This was my first red (the las vegas cake) and I really had to soften it in the microwave and add crisco to get it pliable.

Good luck!

CakeTitans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTitans Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 6

The cocoa doesn't take away the brightness of the red? I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else having this problem?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 6

If you can find the pink marshmallows (or other colors around different holidays), that is a great start for red, and a DELICIOUS flavor!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 6

To make a bright red, I always make my MMF a bright pumpkin orange first, then add the red food coloring. It takes less food coloring this way and it doesn't change the taste/texture.

For black, I do what the above poster suggested: replace some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder then add the food coloring.

Good luck!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 6

For coloring MMF, I always microwave first, then when it's really pliable I start adding color...I don't like kneading, so this helps to incorporate very quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%