Is It Really That Hard For You Guys To Find A Legal Kitchen

Business By littlecake Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 2:00am by mkolmar

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:42am
post #1 of 17

i've been toying with the idea of fixing my backroom that currently has just my oven and freezer in it to a full kitchen, by adding a triple sink, cabinets and another fridge...it's already plumbed.....it's a nice size 20 by 14.

i could lock it from the rest of my shop....and the renter could have their own key, come and go as they pleased.....

i'm just unsure of what kind of demand there is around here for this.....before i spend the $$$$$.

any thoughts, anyone? it would be great to have some income that i didn't have to slave away to make.....it such a shame to have all that wasted space.

16 replies
suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 17

If I were in Muskogee, I'd jump at the chance. Regretfully, I am in Tulsa. I have yet to find a place willing to rent space. I am working on getting home bakers legal in OK so it won't be such an issue for those of us wanting to sell a few things.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 17

That would have been great if I lived in your area, So hard to find one in my area

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 17

I always had this notion of opening up a kitchen just for the purpose of renting it out. Rent it out on a block of time basis. X has from this time to this time. Y has it from this time to this time. You could book the whole 24hrs. You probably make more money with this scenario IF you could book all the time slots. The best part, not dealing with the public LOLOL

Mike

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 17

I think it's a great idea. Remember, you can also rent to people who are in other aspects of the food business other than just cake!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 17

I think you should go for it. There's nothing wrong w/ making money while helping someone else make money legally. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 17

I think that would be awesome!! I'm sure that someone in your area would be interested.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 17

wish I was in your area, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat! icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

me too

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 17

[quote="pattycakesnj"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

me too[/quote

I am almost willing to move for an opportunity like that icon_lol.gif

littlecake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 17

well. i guess that should be my next project then, it would be great to be able to help someone else to have their dream too.....since i'm already set up....it's not gonna cost all that much....relatively...

and i'm wanting to slow down some myself, the extra rent money would come in handy.

littlecake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:32am
post #12 of 17

another question for those of you who would rent kitchen space....what would you prefer...by the day week or month?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 17

by the hour or blocks of hour

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #14 of 17

How much for this place and where exactly do I need to move?

You are offering/discussing so many choices, I don't even know how to think it out. I had been hoping for a place that I can bake/decorate early mornings or late evenings. I would like to look in a time that is always mine every week.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #15 of 17

I would offer it around the clock--maybe to two different people. But the place has to pass check for those types of businesses too. Catering is different than noodle making for example.

I think it's a great idea.

Keep it as simple as possible.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 17

I chewcked into a shared kitchen here in Georgia and she had so many people that wanted to rent from her she now has a huge waitlist. With all these new cake shows on TV people are getting into this business more than ever. I would go for it!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #17 of 17

If I lived by you I would rent it out from you. Go for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%