Best Chocolate Cake Recipe For 10" Square Pan

Baking By loves2bake4six Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 2:30am by loves2bake4six

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 4

I've made this cake 4 times now and thrown it out each time.

I think my recipe may be at fault.

please gie me your best chocolate cake recipe for this size pan.

Thanks

Oh and I have tested my oven temp - it's true.

3 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #2 of 4

What exactly was wrong with the 4 cakes you threw out. If they were not baking to the center you may need to place a flower nail in the center of the cake to distribute the heat evenly through the cake. For larger size pans, you need to either use a heating core or a flower nail to get it to bake consistently. Possibly the temperature of your oven was to high also. I usually bake at 325 for larger cakes. You will probably have to bake it longer, but you will have a cake cooked consistently through. It could be there was to much batter in your pan. According to the Wilton site for a 10" square pan you should be using 6 cups of batter. I have a recipe for a chocolate cake that serves 20, so you'll probably have to double it. It's for 2- 8"x2" pans. Here you go. This says to preheat oven to 350, I would bake at 325 and add time onto the baking. 2 Cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips divided, 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, 1 and 1/2 Cups granulated sugar, 3 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 and 1/2 cups water. Mixing instructions:Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips and butter together either in microwave or on top of stove over low heat. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Pour into large bowl. Add sugar; beat with electric mixer on low until well blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Stir in 1/2 cup flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add remaining flour and water; mix until smooth. Stir in remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pans. This says to bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. It will not be done that quick due to the fact you reduced the temperature. I would add at least another ten minutes, and then continue to check it after each 5 minutes. When your toothpick comes out clean remove the cake from the oven. Let it set in the pan for 10 minutes to cool. Then if you have a cooling rack larger enough place on top of the pan and flip onto cooling rack. If not let it cool in the pan, cover the pan with saran wrap all the way to the bottom, flip the cake over onto the saran wrap. Wrap in saran wrap and put back in clean pan. Place in freezer to let it cool slightly, so it firms up the cake. After its firm you can unwrap, place a cake board on top and flip it over onto the cake board. A trick i learned from another CCer. Hope this helps

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 4

I use the hershey recipe on the back of the cocoa can. Sift all the dry ingred and substitute cream for the milk and you will have the best cake ever!

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the recipe cabecakes and suggestion ally

The cakes are not cooking through to the center, doming to crack then collapsing. I am using a flower nail AND baking strips. Possible a faulty recipe which is why I need to try something else.

Right now I have my FIFTH attempt - Chocolate Fudge Cake on Epicurious (August 2004) by Toba Garrett - in the oven

Will let you know how it turns out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%