Rolling Out Fondant

Decorating By walker1229 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm by walker1229

walker1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walker1229 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 7

I have heard that when you roll out fondant to, butter the surface, or crisco the surface, or powder cornstrach, or powder confrectioners sugar the surface, which should you do, which works best? I tried cornstarch and it tended to dry out the fondant (I use MMF) and sometimes it still stuck so which one should I try next?
Crystal

6 replies
Lou71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lou71 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

Icing sugar and cornflour will dry your paste out. I use a light coating of vegetable fat (in Scotland it comes in a block called Trex) and then wipe off with some kitchen roll.
As this will stop the paste sticking to the worktop/board

Louise

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 7

If you kneed it for a while with the heel of your hand - then you shouldn't have to use anything on your work surface.

Give it time to come together - like working/kneeding a dough -
Once it feels elastic - you know it will be ready to roll with your rolling pin.

However humidity can have an effect - but if the humidity is low then just kneed it well -

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 7

I always use crisco when I roll my MMF. I tried powdered sugar once, never again.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 7

I always roll out my fondant on a VERY thin layer of shortening. I find it gives the fondant a nice shine and the pliability is nice too.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #6 of 7

The only thing I've ever tried before was butter (simply because I didn't have shortening lying around at the time). That being said, from what I've read, I think the shortening might be the way to go. The butter made my fondant difficult to work with (REALLY slippery), gave it a super high gloss (so much so that I wasn't really a fan), and gave it too much of a butter taste (obviously). I'd be interested to hear the difference between the two for those who have tried both - but like I said, I'd go with the shortening, and use as little as possible so not to affect the look/taste too much.

walker1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walker1229 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%