Any Ideas What I Should Do

Decorating By victoriacakery Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 1:30am by Kitagrl

victoriacakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriacakery Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 5

A woman in another department at my work emailed me asking how much a cake for 40 -50 would cost? Her department wants to throw a baby shower for a co-worker. I responded with "What did you have in mind?"
A few days later she replied they would have to pay for the cake themselves (not from the dept. budget) so didn't have a lot to spend. Still I have no idea what she has in mind. She later emailed saying perhaps they would have to go with a Sam's sheet cake but it just wouldn't be as good as mine. (Hint Hint)
I emailed a picture of a cake I had recently done for a girl shower and quoted a fair price of $40.00. It is very simple single layer 12 X 18 sheet. BC icing and decorations.
I have not heard from her since and the shower is this Friday 26th.
I don't know if she is expecting me to show up with the cake or not.
I would feel kind of dumb if I ask only to find out she went with a Sam's cake.

Any ideas what I should do? TIA

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

Dear <name>,

Hope the baby shower planning is going well.

Just a gentle reminder that I need at least 4 days notice to create a custom-made cake.

Please let me know no later than Tuesday if you still need one of my custom cakes.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 5

I think since she said they'd have to buy a Sam's sheet cake and she didn't respond to your e-mail I'd say she doesn't want the cake.

It's rude of her not to respond and completely her fault if in fact she does think you're making the cake after only a brief e-mail conversation.

If it were me I'd drop it and let her come to me. If she shows up at your desk the day before the shower asking about the cake, she'd be out of luck.

I never chase potential clients, especially those who want a custom cake on a shoestring budget.

morgs2485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgs2485 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 5

That's pretty rude of her to not at least follow up whether she chose you or not. Since this person is someone that you work with, I would drop a short email just like what Doug posted above. GL!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 5

I generally let it go unless they've actually said "Yes I want to reserve the date, I will send the deposit"...then if they don't, I will email them and ask if they still want it. But if they never say "Yes I want it" I just forget them....if they do not write/call, it means they changed their mind, usually.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%