Is A Bench Scraper Also Known As A Baker's Blade???

Decorating By babycakes1 Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm by dnrlee

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

A lot of people say you gotta have a "bench scraper" but the only thing I could find in the cake decorating aisle was something called a "baker's blade." It looks like the same thing? Are they one and the same? If not, what's the difference? icon_redface.gif

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

My best cake decorating tools came from the hardware store and not the cake decorating aisle! icon_biggrin.gif Based on what I found when I did a visual search for "bakers blade", it's probably the same thing. Any large straight edged blade (like the ones used for drywalling, for example), will work.

There is also one called a dough scraper that is plastic. I have found the plastic ones, with the flexibility, do a great smoothing job. I like it better than the metal ones. Here's some pics of the rubber/plastic ones: http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=194

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes1

A lot of people say you gotta have a "bench scraper" but the only thing I could find in the cake decorating aisle was something called a "baker's blade." It looks like the same thing? Are they one and the same? If not, what's the difference? icon_redface.gif

I have a hard time with a bench scraper, since the handle is just as wide as the blade. For me, a better option is a sheetrock knife or paint guard....much easier to handle.

This is what we are referring to.....the best one's I've found aren't from the dry wall section of the hardware store...they rust easy....the best are from the paint aisle. Check out the blade....if it is really shiny, it will rust easy....go for a stainless steel one [more dull finish] that is thin and flexible.

I bought a 6 inch wide one at Lowe's in the paint section for $4.00...it's great for smoothing the sides of a cake.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 6

I looked in more than one Home Depot and more than one Lowe's in my area and never found a bench scraper like I've read others have bought at those places. Employees there tell me they've never seen or heard of them. However, I did get a large plastic scraper from the paint department there for less than $3.00 that has worked amazingly for me. It is black and very tall. It is also wide so it's easy to set it down for bracing (leveling straight up and down) and keep it straight for going over the sides of my cakes as I turn them on the turntable.

I did see something yesterday in Williams Sonoma that looked like the blade scraper I've seen posted here and it was about $12. I'm sticking however, with what I already purchased since it works for me. icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforhim

I looked in more than one Home Depot and more than one Lowe's in my area and never found a bench scraper like I've read others have bought at those places. Employees there tell me they've never seen or heard of them. However, I did get a large plastic scraper from the paint department there for less than $3.00 that has worked amazingly for me. It is black and very tall. It is also wide so it's easy to set it down for bracing (leveling straight up and down) and keep it straight for going over the sides of my cakes as I turn them on the turntable.

I did see something yesterday in Williams Sonoma that looked like the blade scraper I've seen posted here and it was about $12. I'm sticking however, with what I already purchased since it works for me. icon_smile.gif

Save your money...those pricey ones rust! The cheap one from the paint aisle is the best.

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 6

I actually use my cake lifter for smoothing but plan to pick up a scraper from Lowe's to try. The lifter works really well but it is a little large to handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%