is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

Check in and lurkers come in too!

80 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 81

Hi leah_s tonight is my lazy night. done with all my cakes for this week and next week is lite

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 81

I'm cleaning up after putting together 3 cakes so far. 2 four tiers, 1 three tier, 2 groom's cakes.

Deliveries tomorrow and then put together 2 more cakes for Sunday delivery.

'Tis the season.

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #4 of 81

need help, I do dishes lol

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 81

I had 5 weddings last weekend, 5 this weekend, and 5 next weekend. And an impossible amount of non-cake work next week. Oh well I guess I can sleep the week after that.

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 81

Spent 8 hours at work making cakes (work in a bakery) then came home to finish a wedding cake for a friend who is getting married tomorrow...Man, I am tired...I could use that help with the dishes cause these kids here are useless (LOL, Just Kidding)

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 81

wow, you have your hands ful, I wish I had a little more cakes to do than what I have, some weeks I get more but most of the time I have about 2 or 3 a week. Never did a wedding cake, how do you do it?

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 81

I've been trying to get the energy to do either the cookie project I've been working on (see the other Royal Icing thread), or make some cupcakes (1/2 because I need them for Sunday, 1/2 because I really really want one right now... LOL....). Otherwise, surfin the forums and getting some inspiration. That's about it. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #9 of 81

tator, you'd be surprised how long you can go without sleep.

not joking. Once I worked 40 hours straight. Another time 35 hours straight. There's a serious collapse after that, but everything got done.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 81

Hi Everyone,

I just finished putting my chocolate lollies away and was starting to research a colour scheme for a cake I was asked to do for EID on Sunday. Anyone have any suggestions? It is going to be a small 8" round with roses and some words, the lady wanted basic and I thought maybe pink and yellow.
Shannie

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

tator, you'd be surprised how long you can go without sleep.

not joking. Once I worked 40 hours straight. Another time 35 hours straight. There's a serious collapse after that, but everything got done.

OMG, I would end up hurting someone if I didn't get my sleep lol

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #12 of 81

My mom just told me today that she wants a cake for this sunday, its my aunts bday.

So I'm just about to start baking, luckly for her I love her.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #13 of 81

I'm working on cakes for a 1st Birthday tomorrow. Monkeys are the theme - too cute! After that, I need to package the monkey face cookies.

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #14 of 81

Anyone watching Masters of Reception on TLC? This is the episode where the bride requested the baker to assemble, frost and decorate the cake at the reception in front of the guests. "Performance art."

Save me.

OK, so here's the thing. This baker assembles, then uses the icer tip to get the icing on the tier, then smooths it. That's right, he stacks first.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #15 of 81

can't wait to post tomorrow's wedding cake pic. Bride picked an older design from my OLD photos, so it's lots of BC flowers and BC decor! In fall colors! LUV IT!! YAY!! It's a 3 tier on the acrylic free standing stands.

But then I remembered I'd signed up for our COmmunity Day at the Park tomorrow ..... I have a 'booth' space and will be giving away free cookies for 3 hours. I did it last year and it was fun .... and it's free, so that's always good! So I had to slap about 300 cookies in the oven, then wrap each one individually in saran. (If I pre-wrap them at the shop, then I don't have to spend the $40 for the off-site temp health dept license.)

So I should be in bed, since I have to get up early tomorrow ... yet here I am on CC! icon_razz.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #16 of 81
Quote:

I had 5 weddings last weekend, 5 this weekend, and 5 next weekend. And an impossible amount of non-cake work next week. Oh well I guess I can sleep the week after that.

sleep? what is this sleep you speak of?
there's no sleeping in cake.... icon_cry.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #17 of 81

I can only wish that I had a cake to do other than that absolutely nothing

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #18 of 81
Quote:

Anyone watching Masters of Reception on TLC? This is the episode where the bride requested the baker to assemble, frost and decorate the cake at the reception in front of the guests. "Performance art."

Save me.

OK, so here's the thing. This baker assembles, then uses the icer tip to get the icing on the tier, then smooths it. That's right, he stacks first.

Yep - just finished watching... really interesting show! Never in my LIFE would I want to assemble and decorate in front of people... LOL... I'm too slow/picky/obsessive I think...

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #19 of 81

I'm fascinated that he assembled and THEN base iced and decorated. I finish all the tiers and then assemble.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #20 of 81

Is it possible to make a really dark brown royal icing. I used brown then, Oh just about every other color I have and came up with any amazing " brain"/ "halloween " color, but no brown!!! There is so much food color in it you could never eat it at this point!

AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #21 of 81

Hi everyone,
Well I'm just not having a good baking night. First I made some Almond Filling and I over cook it. Had to re do it now I got it. I also made a vanilla cake and I was just cutting it and it is so hard. I'm woundering why??? I forgot the oil. Now I have to redo the cake too. ah... not a good start.

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:18am
post #22 of 81

cookiemama, you have to let most food dyes/colors set for up to 2 hours for the color to develop. What brand are you using?

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:18am
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJo

Hi everyone,
Well I'm just not having a good baking night. First I made some Almond Filling and I over cook it. Had to re do it now I got it. I also made a vanilla cake and I was just cutting it and it is so hard. I'm woundering why??? I forgot the oil. Now I have to redo the cake too. ah... not a good start.

lol sorry AnnaJo but I pictured it in my mind and this girl couldn't help herself, I hope the rest of your night goes better

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:18am
post #24 of 81

Annajo, without the fat/oil yes, the cake is not gonna be what you want.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #25 of 81

Wilton paste colors...as I put my head down in shame!
I was making cookies to match a cake I have to do and I wanted a chocolate fudge brown.
I ended up just making the part I wanted brown, just in white.
I have a color chart from CC but there was no brown on it.

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #26 of 81

Wilton really does take a couple of hours to come to full color. Just wait.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:29am
post #27 of 81

I am making a standing Stay Puft marshmallow man. And I just realized that I have to redo the head because it is way too small for the size of the body. Duh! I could kick myself... I just posted in another forum, but I thought I would try here to see if anybody could help me... How can I make a new head (pretty thick/solid) and make it dry really fast for tomorrow morning?? Is there a fast way to dry a big hunk of fondant?

leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #28 of 81

Rice Krispie Treats covered in fondant. Light weight and you can make it pretty big without a ton of support. You'll need some support, but it won't be over-heavy.

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:32am
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

I am making a standing Stay Puft marshmallow man. And I just realized that I have to redo the head because it is way too small for the size of the body. Duh! I could kick myself... I just posted in another forum, but I thought I would try here to see if anybody could help me... How can I make a new head (pretty thick/solid) and make it dry really fast for tomorrow morning?? Is there a fast way to dry a big hunk of fondant?

oven with only the light on or make it with rkt covered in fondant

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:32am
post #30 of 81

Thanks, I'll try and see how it goes..... I feel like such a knob lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%