Sticky Mmf

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm by dnrlee

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 4

This is the first time that I have made MMF and it was a sticky mess! What did I do wrong? I made it yesterday, covered it well and let it rest. It was a disaster! I pulled it off of the cake and I'll finish it with buttercream. I am so disappointed icon_cry.gif

3 replies
cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 4

i had that problem too! i think you need more powdered sugar. you can also work in crisco a little at a time. just keep adding till you get it like you want it.

And corn starch works better for me, when i roll it out. HTH

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 4

You need to work it with your hands. The consistency should resemble fondant. Add more PS if sticky and more shortening/crisco/coconutfat if dry. When it's soft and pliable it's ready for use. It's good to leave it sticky when you leave it to rest. It goes a bit stiffer when it rests. So it sounds like you did it right except the working of the "doe"

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 4

Okay - I ended up covering it in buttercream instead which changed my whole game plan but I think that it's going to look really good. Thanks for the tips for my next attempt and I will post the picture when I'm done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%