How To Get Icing Black

Decorating By cowgirllvn Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm by tiggy2

cowgirllvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirllvn Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 13

i need black icing.....any ideas on the best way to get your icing a true black and not grey? thanks

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 13

Use gray icon_smile.gif Once it is on the cake it will turn black in time.
There are many, many threads on this subject with lots of ideas but *THE* most important one is those dark/intense colors (navy; red; black etc) MUST be made at least the night before needing.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 13

You will need a lot of gel colour to get a nice black (depending on the amount of icing you want coloured), and as kakeladi says, it will still look a bit grey at first. Leave it to sit for a day, and it will darken.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 13

I use dark chocolate frosting as a base for my black frosting. Also, if you mix a color like black right before you need to use it, in order to make your frosting the shade it needs to be RIGHT NOW, you will need to use a ton of it. So I always mix the rich colors (red, royal, black) at least 48 hours before I need to use them. This gives the colors time to saturate without needing to use too much gel color.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 13

Use Americolor black

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 13

What about the taste? WOnt that be gross tasting?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 13

are you trying to cover the whole cake with black??

cowgirllvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirllvn Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 13

no i was only needing it for a border and the writing

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 13

I have used canned dark chocolate icing and added a small amt of black if I needed to cover a large area.

You can also mix together all those bits of leftover bc from previous cakes. It will make a camo green. Then you don't have to add as much black to get black.

For what you need, though, I'd probably just use the choc bc as is. It will look like black in small amounts like that.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 13

Chefmaster liqua gel.........use very little, no need to make ahead time as you get black instantly (as well as red), no bad taste.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 13

I order mine from Dixie's. They have many vibrant colors and she sent me a sample of her black. It is wonderful not to have to mix colors anymore.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 13

When I need to use black icing or black fondant I always start with dark chocolate icing or fondant and add black coloring gel to that. It is much easier to achieve the black when starting with the darker color from the chocolate. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by goof9j

I order mine from Dixie's. They have many vibrant colors and she sent me a sample of her black. It is wonderful not to have to mix colors anymore.

That's where I get mine too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%