Fondant: Marshmellow Vs Others

Decorating By Bchbby Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm by KHalstead

Bchbby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bchbby Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to this whole "fondant" phenomenon and have used the Wilton store bought (difficult to work with and doesn't taste very good) and a MM fondant, (much easier to work with and tastes much better)

What I would like to know is the pros and cons of using one vs the other, or using other pre-made fondant's from on of the cake supply stores.

Thanks,
Michele

2 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 3

I use MFF (recipe on cc), very easy to work with and cheap to make. I have tried MMF and had a lot of problems. The only time I buy it is when I need real red or black and then I buy Satin Ice. Wilton is good for making figures and stuff, just not to eat.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 3

well, normally i use the mmf made myself..........because it's cheap and easy to make and tastes good. However, I've got a wedding cake coming up that is 5 tiers covered in fondant and who wants to make all that??? Not me!! So i ordered a 20lb. bucket of Satin ice fondant. Well, I covered a barbie doll cake with it the other day and I have to say........I'm sold on it!! It tasted good like the mmf...but it was sooooooooo smooth and luxurious to the feel. When i smoothed it onto the cake and used a fondant smoother on it, it almost buffed it to a beautiful sheen......the stuff is soooooooooooo smooth. The mmf is kinda dry and grainy looking in comparison, but I guess I was so used to it that I didn't care. now that i've seen the smooth stuff I don't know how I'll ever go back!

by the way I paid under 60.00 for 20 lbs. that's the cost with shipping......I got it in 3 days in the mail, and I think the mmf was costing me close to 3 bucks per pound to make anyhow...and now I don't have all the prep and cleanup time involved in making it myself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%