Martha Stewarts Maple Cupcakes Reviews

Baking By carmenid Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm by 7yyrt

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 29

Hi All-

Have any of you ever made Martha Stewarts Maple cupcakes before? I am making this recipe tonight and since it calls for 2 cups of maple syrup, I would like to know what it is like before I waste 2 cups of expensive syrup.

Please let me know.

28 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 29

I haven't tried it but I'd like to hear the reviews too...if not, I'd like to hear your review after you make them tonight icon_smile.gif

carmenid Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 29

lol!

anyone?

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 29

I've not tried them but maybe I will after U post how they turned out. Hopefully they will be good. Maple syrup is not cheap. I get the Cracker Barrel or Fresh Market Brand when on sale. They are both very delicious. The grade A is the best. Good Luck!

all4cake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 29

Carmen, I am at MarthaStewart.com. I see maple cupcakes but these have no maple in 'em....the b/c does and it's one cup. Where did you find the recipe you'll be using?

carmenid Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Carmen, I am at MarthaStewart.com. I see maple cupcakes but these have no maple in 'em....the b/c does and it's one cup. Where did you find the recipe you'll be using?

From her cupcake book, I bought it yesterday. I saw that the icing also calls for 2 cups of syrup. That doesn't sound right, does it?

carmenid Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 29

I just checked the site, I am just seeing the maple walnut cupcake recipe. The book has maple walnut cupcakes and just maple cupcakes. And the maple frosting recipe is cut in half.

Maybe I should just do the maple walnut recipe since I feel unsure.

all4cake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 29

I see the frosting...it's like french meringue buttercream made with maple syrup instead of a sugar/water syrup....but I don't see how they call the cupcakes maple cupcakes...maybe cinnamon-walnut cupcakes?

all4cake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 29
carmenid Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 29

Ok, so here's the outcome.
I tried both recipes; the maple cupcakes and the maple walnut cupcakes. Both were delicious, specially the maple walnut cupcakes BUT you could hardly taste the maple in them. Same with the maple buttercream, it tasted like butter and not like maple. The buttercream called for a cup of maple syrup and the cupcakes for 2 cups...so it was a maple syrup waste in my opinion.

all4cake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 29

That just blows!

I wonder...

If maple candies crushed up in the b/c or batter would add any MAPLE flavor to it

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #12 of 29

I make an icing for whole wheat pecan scones. It calls for maple syrup in the icing. I buy dark maple syrup for this because the flavor is stronger and therefore you can use less. I bought mine at Williams Sonoma. You may find it online. HTH

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #13 of 29

LorAnn makes a maple flavouring - that might help to enhance it?

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #14 of 29

Thanks funcakes. I know I'd like it to taste really maple-y if I were to make something with maple in it....I wouldn't want to have to reach for the taste of it.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #15 of 29

Try Grade B syrup instead of grade A.

Grade B has a much more robust flavor, and Grade A has a more 'wimpy' flavor.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #16 of 29

Do you have Maple Flavoured Syrup over there? We have it here and it's about half the price. I use it in my maple, apple and pecan cupcakes with maple buttercream (from WW cupcake book) instead of real maple syrup and you can certainly taste the flavour.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #17 of 29

Please, please, please do NOT use maple flavor (aka imitation) syrup. It is just that - fake. Ok, I admit. I'm biased. I'm a Vermonter. Table syrup (maple flavored syrup) isn't even allowed in my house, nor will anyone I know even buy it. The grocery stores barely carry it.

Try the grade B dark syrup, and/or add maple sugar or crushed maple candies to your recipe.

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #18 of 29

I just read about the grade b...."intense maple flavor....dark...like molasses...best for cooking..." oh, yes, mensch, I do believe you're right...that is the way to go!

I think if I go to order it (I've not seen the dark stuff 'round here), I need to have a list of things to make with it...that stuff doesn't have an extended shelf life and I have a tendency to forget I got something...KWIM? Just plan a maple baking day and use it all!( I know, I could just order a small amount...but dang, what's the point in that????)

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #19 of 29

make pancakes!

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #20 of 29

auntmamie, does the maple aroma fill the air during certain times of the year there? If so, what's the best time of year to enjoy the wafts?

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #21 of 29

you could try also brushing them with syrup after they come out o the oven

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

auntmamie, does the maple aroma fill the air during certain times of the year there? If so, what's the best time of year to enjoy the wafts?

I wouldn't say that you can smell the maple unless you are actually in a saphouse (where they boil down sap into syrup) but....driving through the back roads, you will see the maple groves. Maple trees either have individual buckets on them, or they use either of a few tubing systems, where sap runs through miles of tubes to a saphouse. You can smell the wood burning at the saphouses - most are still old fashioned and use hardwoods, but some are turning over to propane and natural gas, depending on location. If you come up during maple season, make sure to bring or rent a 4x4 - maple season is also the beginning of Vermont's fifth "official" season - mud season - and many of the roads that saphouses are on are dirt roads, filled with potholes.

Maple does have a limited shelf life, but.....it is very thick. If a little mold does form, it can easily be skimmed off and still used.

Please visit www.vermontmaple.org for alot more info - and maybe I'll see you at the Maple Fest in St. Albans next year!

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #23 of 29

Sounds like a trip in the making to me!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Try Grade B syrup instead of grade A.

Grade B has a much more robust flavor, and Grade A has a more 'wimpy' flavor.

That's exactly what I was going to say, but I would say try to taste it first. To this non-maple loving texan, Grade B is harsh and a little soy-saucy.

all4cake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #25 of 29

soy-saucy? eeeeeeeeew in cupcakes and icing...

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebear

you could try also brushing them with syrup after they come out o the oven

That was my first thought. OR...heat up some good maple syrup so it's warm and runnier than usual, and dip the top of each cupcake in the warm maple syrup just after coming out of the oven. That mapley goodness will sink down into the warm cupcakes!! Oh I can just taste it now...with some delicious buttercream on top sprinkled with chopped, crispy bacon pieces!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #27 of 29

You can snarl your nose at me, don't care. But I would use flavored syrup & add maple flavoring. Maple syrup is soooooo expensive here, almost triple the flavored syrup. So, that would have been a waste for me. I've also discovered that brown sugar instead of white sugar brings out the maple flavor. I have used a brown sugar maple simple syrup in my buttercream & it was AMAZING---I just made a simple syrup w/ brown sugar instead of white & added maple flavoring.

So, it's up to you. But as much as I like maple products I wouldn't be experimenting w/ it being about $6 per bottle---maybe 1 1/2 -2 c of syrup.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #28 of 29

OK, so y'all had me going nuts thinking about these maple cupcakes so I decided to just play a little bit. I took a butter yellow mix and whipped it up, then just for kicks I heated up some maple syrup and drizzled it over the cake after it came out of the oven. It tastes a bit like a pancake, but with a cake texture. I made the mistake of trying to de-pan before it was cool (ok, so I was impatient!) and it fell all over the place, but since it was just an experiment cake I didn't mind.

I think brushing warm syrup over cupcakes would give that maple flavor, but be sure to let the cupcakes COOL before icing them and I think they'd be lots better and all the gooey tops of the cupcakes won't come off in your buttercream! I think next time I'd also add a little cinnamon to the cake mix just for flavor because the cake itself was a bit bland.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #29 of 29

Real maple syrup is at least $4 for a small bottle here, they darn well better be excellent cupcakes! You can't get grade B, except perhaps online.
Maple candies are for sale at Christmas down at the stores. Last year they were $12 for 5 tiny pieces (mixed with corn syrup, nothing pure.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%