Grex Airbrush

Decorating By DDiva Updated 20 Apr 2017 , 5:06pm by AbouttheCake

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 21

I don't remember who posted the info about the Grex airbrush that she bought at the ICES convention, but.........
THANK YOU!!!

I bought mine from Chicago Airbrush (great service, fast shipping). The poster bought the TS but I opted for the Genesis XT which is about $50 less. I couldn't see any significant advantage . I've used the Airmaster from Kopykake for 6 years, but the brush was starting to have a few issues.

I received the Grex yesterday. Took it right out of the package and hooked it up to my Airmaster compressor. I also bought the G-MAC connector that allows you to make easy adjustments to the air pressure.
The trigger handle and the side mounted cup allows for amazing control.

So thank you.....Grex owner!!!

20 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 21

I think it was Loucinda.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 21

icon_biggrin.gif Yep, it was me - isn't that thing AMAZING?? Glad you got it and love it as much as I do!! thumbs_up.gif

DDiva Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 21

Loucinda-
I am loving this airbrush, girl!! It's so comfortable to use and easy to adjust and clean. I finally read the instruction manual last night (in typical Dessert Diva fashion--act first, read instructions later icon_biggrin.gif ), but I did fine without it.

I teach an airbrush class and I will definitely recommend the Grex to my students. Thanks again for sharing. You really did help me make this decision!!

grandmom Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:42am
post #5 of 21

Ddiva,

Can you share with us the other brands you may have used besides the Kopykake Airmaster? And why you like this Grex so much compared to those brands?

I'm in the market for my first airbrush, and I'm torn between the Grex and the Aztec. I can see the Grex is a very nice model just by looking, but it's a lot pricier too!

Thanks for any help!

DDiva Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Ddiva,

Can you share with us the other brands you may have used besides the Kopykake Airmaster? And why you like this Grex so much compared to those brands?

I'm in the market for my first airbrush, and I'm torn between the Grex and the Aztec. I can see the Grex is a very nice model just by looking, but it's a lot pricier too!

Thanks for any help!

I started with the cheapies that you get from the hobby stores. Bad idea..you really do get what you pay for.

I then bit the bullet and spent the money for the Airmaster (red compressor) made by Kopykake. It's a great system that I've used for over 6 years. I was starting to have a few issues with the brush which is why Loucinda's post interested me. But it's a great system.

I also own the system recommended and sold by Roland Winbeckler. It includes a Testor's Aztec brush and a 1/8 hp compressor made by Central Pneumatic. I didn't like it as much as the Airmaster. The Aztec is lighter but the brush just isn't comfortable for me to use...so it's my 'backup', which I've not had to use.

As I mentioned in my previous post; the Grex is great! Because it's fitting is the same as the Airmaster brush I was able to just cut the tubing that was connected. I then slipped the tubing onto the Grex brush and I was ready to go. However, since I do have the other compressor, I did buy the Grex hose and adapter to fit that compressor....just in case.

If I was buying a system for the first time I would opt for the Grex. I found the disassembly and re-assembly very easy, and it is really a much more comfortable brush to use.

I strongly recommend that whatever airbrush system you buy, always get a moisture trap. It will eliminate any sputtering and speckling. And always buy an extra needle. It's the one piece that when you need a replacement you want it to be on hand.
HTH---and happy airbrushing!!

grandmom Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 21

Ok, then. Grex it is. You and Loucinda both can't be wrong!

Thanks so much for the details. It really helps.

DDiva Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 21

You're welcome!! Happy to help.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 21

I know that this is an old thread, BUT my wonderful DH is buying me a Grex Tritium airbrush combo kit for Christmas, and I need some advice. (Yay for me!!!) This will be my first airbrush, so we're getting the combo kit with the compressor and everything together. Here's a link to their combo kits: w w w . grexusa.com/grexairbrush/prod_type.php5?prod_type=Combo%20Kits

My first thought was to get Tritium with the cup on top, but I see that both Loucinda and DDiva are using the one with the cup on the side. Is there a specific reason that? Would you recommend the side cup or top cup for a beginner?

Also, DDiva...what's a moisture trap? I didn't see it listed in the combo kit...

Thanks SO MUCH for any help/advice that you can give!!!

DDiva Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:09am
post #10 of 21

You will LOVE your Grex!! I like the side cup because you don't have a vision block, which you do with the top mounted cup. Also, the cup can be adjusted on angles better on the side.
The moisture trap traps moisture that gets in your line (humidity in the air) into a cloth like contraption. This prevents spattering when you're airbrushing. Truly worth its weight in gold!! It's not in the combo kit, but can be purchased separately.

When I had to re-buy things for my shop, the Grex was on the top of the list!! A very short learning curve and you'll be good to go!
On another note: don't forget to think about a way to contain overspray. Earlene Moore as a spray box that you can construct easily and cheaply on her website. When we moved I went one step further: found a cheap kitchen cabinet and countertop. Cut a hole in it for a bathroom vent and vented it to the outside. Added an on/off switch to the side of the cabinet and washable board to the walls (it's installed in a little cubby w/3 walls). I use newsprint on the countertop. Flip the switch on the cabinet, fire up the airbrush and no fuss, no muss.
Have fun!!

greengyrl26 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #11 of 21

DDiva...THANK YOU!!!

So, there's no issue with balance with a side cup? (Can you tell that I've never worked with an airbrush before?) LOL!!!

Another question! icon_wink.gif

You say to buy another needle, as backup. Which needle should we get? I don't expect to be doing much writing with the airbrush. I mostly want to use it to paint pearl sheens, and as I get better, to do some shading on my 3D cakes like dogs, etc. The combo kit comes with a 0.2mm, 0.3mm, or 0.5mm fluid nozzle. I'm assuming this means needle? If so, which one do you recommend?

DDiva Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #12 of 21

I would say to get the one with the largest spray pattern, or the set. Also, just go ahead and mount the largest cup. It's so cool not to have to refill a gazillion times. The brush is perfectly balanced and feels great in your hand.

DDiva Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #13 of 21

I would say to get the one with the largest spray pattern, or the set. Also, just go ahead and mount the largest cup. It's so cool not to have to refill a gazillion times. The brush is perfectly balanced and feels great in your hand.

Loucinda Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:50am
post #14 of 21

Not to interrupt, but if you talk to the folks at Grex, they are really good at guiding you to what needle(s) you may need depending on what type of airbrushing you do. This is a quality product/company. You will LOVE it! icon_smile.gif

I now also have the airbrush booth from www.cakesafe.com - I would put that on my list as the next thing to get. I get NO OVERSPRAY - NONE with this booth. It is amazing. The combo of the Grex and this and I am in airbrush heaven here!

Have fun with your new toy and congratulations!! thumbs_up.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:16am
post #15 of 21

Thanks ladies! I'm calling Grex tomorrow to get it all sorted out and ordered in time for Christmas delivery!
Loucinda...I see that you're in Ohio. We're going to The Art of The Cake in Cleveland in January. Are you going? icon_smile.gif

zuzucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zuzucakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #16 of 21

For the airbrush recommended here , since it has a regular compressor, does it have a constant flow of air anytime you pull trigger , or on long jobs does it have to recharge the pressure of air , like larger compressors.

Sorry if I am not being clear.

Thanks for your help

Loucinda Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:16am
post #17 of 21

I own the Grex airbrush, but a different compressor. Mine does not run all the time, only when it is needed to build pressure. (which is usually when I am pulling the trigger on the gun)

Loucinda Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:18am
post #18 of 21

GreenG - YES, I am going to Art of the Cake! I am taking the airbrushing class with Roland Winbeckler too. icon_biggrin.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:56am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

GreenG - YES, I am going to Art of the Cake! I am taking the airbrushing class with Roland Winbeckler too. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm taking that class too!!! I'm so excited to go! Will see you there, and I'll have my new Grex with me! icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #20 of 21

See you there! icon_smile.gif

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 5:06pm
post #21 of 21

For those of you who have a Grex Airbrush, would you be willing to send me photos of some of your work?  I am one of the sales reps/ambassadors and would like to feature some of the cakes using the Grex at the SoFlo show next week.  Would also love to have a quote from you as well!

Becky Rink

[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%