Severed Fingers Almond Substitutes

Baking By Angelfire3 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm by Angelfire3

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #31 of 39

Dip one end of cookie into white melted chocolate. Sprinkle on red sugar for the hat and add a white choc. chip for the pom.
Then dip the bottom of the cookie in white choc. for the beard. Add M&M eyes and cinnamon nose, or other candy.
I've also read where someone sprinkled on coconut on the beard area.

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:26pm
post #32 of 39

Thank you vicky. I really appreciate the directions.

Angelfire3 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #33 of 39

I'm making severed fingers for my hubby's Halloween pot luck and I wanted to do a practice trial. I used the premade cookie dough I had on hand. They were chocolate chip. I shaped the finger perfectly and I placed them in my oven. 12 mins later I take the cookies out the oven just to see flat & wide cookies. They looked NOTHING like the shape I made. What happened? Why did they spread out the way they did?

vickymacd Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #34 of 39

First off, choc. chip won't work. I know, you had it on 'hand'. Ha, ha.

The cookie dough for the finger is kind of a stiff sugar cookie dough which stays a bit formed. When you use this dough, you still make the fingers smaller than you want them as they too will widen. And you have to really accent the knuckles, etc. Otherwise they bake out.

Store bought dough will spread. It's made to do that. If you google 'severed finger cookies' you will find many recipes for this.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:34am
post #35 of 39

Vicky~~Just ran across this thread and glad I did.. OH Vicky those santa cookies are so darn cute!!! Please tell me they taste as good as they look... I wanted to say thanks and these will be an easy fast item to make.. Thanks for posting that picture!!!

vickymacd Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:30am
post #36 of 39

The severed cookies are yummy sugar cookies; and the santa ones are bought nutter butter cookies that you just frost. Like I said before, if there is a peanut allergy, don't use the nutter butters, but maybe like a Milano cookie which will hold up to the melted chocolate as well.

I'm also envisioning the nutter buters as Rudolph reindeer. Dip the whole cookie in chocolate. Add pretzel antlers; M&M red nose; chips for eyes.
Hmmm, maybe I'll work on this!

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #37 of 39

Well let me know if you do make Rudolph. I would love to see a picture!! That would be cute, a mixture of both cookies..

vickymacd Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #38 of 39

I'll add it to my list. I'm just trying to get through today! ha, ha.

Angelfire3 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm
post #39 of 39

Here are my Severed fingers & Toes. No almonds or nuts added. I used the NFSC recipe I got from here. I will make them again & hopefully, they will look much better than these. My twin boys refused to eat them.

ETA: the attachment was initially too big to attach.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%