Severed Fingers Almond Substitutes

Baking By Angelfire3 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 39

greetings ladies,
I showed my kids the severed fingers cookies and they want me to make them for Halloween (we may have a party), but the problem I'm having is finding a substitution for the almonds. One of my twins is severely allergic to ALL nuts & tree nuts icon_cry.gif

Any suggestion on what else I can use?

Thanks in advance.

38 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 39

Sorry I don't know what you are talking about, did not see the cookies but here is a bump

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 39

I say leave off the nuts and indent the tip slightly with a spoon or something like that and brush colored egg in the nail bed. this will give the look of a nail. make it brown or some terrible gross color. How about prunes, raisens, crainberries or pumpkin seeds if they are safe!!!

good luck and let us know how they enjoy them

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 39

what are the almonds used for?? fingernails???

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 39

How about just making the tips of the finger pointy and painting a nail on them when they are cooled. or you could use a piece of fruit tape cut into a nail share and stick it on when cookies are warm?

Angelfire3 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnzee

I say leave off the nuts and indent the tip slightly with a spoon or something like that and brush colored egg in the nail bed. this will give the look of a nail. make it brown or some terrible gross color. How about prunes, raisens, crainberries or pumpkin seeds if they are safe!!!

good luck and let us know how they enjoy them

Lynnzee, Thanks so much for the tip. I will try it and let you know how it turns out.

BadKitty, yes, Almonds are used for the fingernails.

Uniqueask, I didn't upload any photo of it b/c I haven't made any yet. But you can do a search on here for "severed fingers" and a ton of photos will pop up. They are so cute-in a creepy way and a great Halloween party snack.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 39

Cut a piece of fondant in shape of nail. Stick it on with dab of frosting.
Fondant can be all different colors.
Or use some candy melts and form them.
Or make candy clay and stick them on.
Oh, I could go on and on.
In my gallery I made the fingers. Almonds aren't the only things to use.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 39

carful with the candy melts, the Wilton ones are not nut-free safe

Angelfire3 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 39

Thanks again for the tips everyone. I will post pics after Halloween. But then again, I may do a trial run to see if they will come out right. What is the best thing to use for "blood"? strawberry jelly (or any red jelly)?

Cupcakemkr, I'm very careful. I'm always in the store reading the back of ingredients to make sure they are nut-free. I do not want anything happening to my baby. The last time he ate a muffin (from his class) we ended up in the ER b/c he had a sever allergic reaction and he didn't respond to the OTC anti-histamines. Now we have an epi-pen. So, trust me, I'm extremely careful.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 39

candy corns could be easy and tasty.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 39

To make edible Fake Blood: Stir drops of gel Red food color (I use Americolor Super Red) into Clear Corn Syrup until desired shade. Add a bit of chocolate syrup to make it less clear and more like real blood. Thin with a bit of water if too thick.

vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:24am
post #12 of 39

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Wilton candy melts. I didn't know that!! Who would have thought!

As far as the blood, it's a tricky one. The 'gel' tubes you can buy, never seemed to dry. So if I covered the plate of the cookies, the gel always stuck to the saran wrap. Maybe the above corn syrup recipe would be better.

Angelfire3 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 39

Hello Everyone,
I was on youtube and I came across a video on severed Cheese fingers & severed witches fingers using bread. Here is the link for the cheese.

I personally like the severed cookie fingers.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 39

Thank You for the link, and here is another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4AbMOjV7k&NR=1

Angelfire3 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Thank You for the link, and here is another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4AbMOjV7k&NR=1

Thanks, but I added that link in my post. I wish they made videos for the cookies, even though I have a general idea of how they did it.

vickymacd Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:29am
post #16 of 39

The cookies are so easy! Use any sugar cookie recipe or NFSC recipe and form the finger. Make your lines and knuckles. Then pop on an almond for the nail (either sliced or whole, painted or not with food coloring). Use red gel (messy though) at the nail area or cut area. Hard to see in my pics, but I make them every year.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1155137

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:04am
post #17 of 39

Just a thought, but if they're for kids that are allergic to nuts...what about cutting out the fingernail with a dark colored fruit roll-up? I've made these before and I used strawberry jelly for the blood. I've got a pic of my "bloody fingers" in my photos (pg. 2) if you want to check them out.

Angelfire3 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne914

Just a thought, but if they're for kids that are allergic to nuts...what about cutting out the fingernail with a dark colored fruit roll-up? I've made these before and I used strawberry jelly for the blood. I've got a pic of my "bloody fingers" in my photos (pg. 2) if you want to check them out.

You did a gross (great) job on your cookies. They were so neat. How did you get them the green color?

vickymacd Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:04am
post #19 of 39

Food coloring!!!

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #20 of 39

ditto! just add a tiny bit of green gel to the dough itself, and VOILA green fingers! icon_smile.gif

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #21 of 39

vickymacd, thanx for the great idea on the nutter butter mummies, I've done them as santas at xmas and never thought about making them mummies, too cool !!!

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

vickymacd, thanx for the great idea on the nutter butter mummies, I've done them as santas at xmas and never thought about making them mummies, too cool !!!

I want to see the mummies and the santa cookies.

globalgatherings Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #23 of 39

Artese, vicki has a picture of her mummies on her post above, I will try to find you a picture of the santas, they are so easy to make and everybody loves them

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #24 of 39

Thanks Globalgatherings. I will look through the pics.

vickymacd Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #25 of 39

Thanks for the mummy comments. I loved making all those cookies.
Who knows if I'll get to it this year. Football sure has me busy!
I'd love to see how those cookies turn into Santas.
Please try to post them! Thanks.

globalgatherings Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #26 of 39

Artese, I don't have any pictures of my nutter butter Santas, but I just googled it for you, Google nutter butter santas, lots of pictures there. I do want to mention tho, I think you stated in a previous post that your baby is allergic to nuts??? If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure nutter butters are peanut butter cookies, but I've never checked the label, so be sure to check it out, I know how serious allergies can be

vickymacd Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:31am
post #27 of 39

YES, nutter butters have peanut butter in them!!!

Even though it'd be more expensive, you could use those Milano cookies which are the same shape as nutter butters.

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:24am
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Artese, I don't have any pictures of my nutter butter Santas, but I just googled it for you, Google nutter butter santas, lots of pictures there. I do want to mention tho, I think you stated in a previous post that your baby is allergic to nuts??? If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure nutter butters are peanut butter cookies, but I've never checked the label, so be sure to check it out, I know how serious allergies can be

OH, I know! I used to always eat nutter butter cookies. I wouldn't dare make them for my family. But I would make them for my hubby's pot luck. I just love decorated foods.

vickymacd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #29 of 39

Don't know if anyone still wanted to see what the Santa's looked like, but here they are.
LL

Angelfire3 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #30 of 39

Thank you for the photos. They are sooooooooooooooooooo CUTE! How do you make them? I won't be using the peanut butter cookies b/c of my son. I will use another cooking with the same shape.

ETA: I just looked at the cookies again. Did you just dip the ends in white icing then sprinkle red sugar on them, then pipe on the eyes etc with colored frosting or using candies?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%