Real Flowers Vs Silk???

Decorating By therese379 Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 12:09am by jammjenks

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a wedding cake, buttercreme and ribbon around each layer..
My question is which is better on the cake if the bride is carrying silk flowers.. the bride does not care... silk or fresh flowers...

8 replies
Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 9

I would go with silk flowers, especially if that's what the bride is carrying. No chance of pesticides or toxicity, and you can find good quality silk flowers these days that look very real....

therese379 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 9

beckalita,, thanks for the reply,, would you mix both flowers or use silk??
thanks therese thumbs_up.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 9

You could mix the two, as long as you use flower picks so the real flowers have some water and don't droop. Also, if using real flowers ~ you need to use some type of barrier between them and the cake; and be sure to avoid toxic flowers....there's a list of them here on CC. I would just use the silk and avoid all the headaches!

therese379 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 9

Beckalita... thanks for all the help, I will use silk flowers and save all the trouble. Another opinion helps thanks.. therese

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 9

I only use silk flowers. My contract says that if the bride desires live flowers for her cake, she needs to contract with the florist, who should contact me directly. I know nothing about putting live flowers on a cake.

I've done several cakes with silk flowers, and love how they look.

therese379 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 9

missmeg, thanks for the help.. first wedding cake... a little unsure.. thanks again, therese... IF I can figure out how to post a picture.. I will put it on next week...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 9

It is my brides' responsibility to provide any flowers for the cake. I'm not a personal shopper. I tell them to leave them on the cake table and I'll take care of them when I deliver the cake. I don't think it should really be your call.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #9 of 9

I tell the bride to have the flowers (real or silk) on the table for me, that way they match the other decorations. I do try to encourage using silk flowers for food safety but mostly because you can bend and manipulate them however you need to. I think real ones are just harder to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%