Is It Safe To Use Food Color After Exp Date?

Decorating By rabiosa Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:36am by VannaD

rabiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiosa Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

I have chefmaster liqua gels, they all expired last month. Some bottles expired at the beggining, others at the end of August/09. Most of the bottles I haven't even opened them yet. I have to bake a cake tomorrow, need help with this!!!

5 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 6

Personally, I would use them, but as soon as possible. I'm not sure if they place the exp date there as a "best if used by" kind of thing or if they truly go "bad" after that date. I can't imagine what ingredient in them would go icky on ya. JMO.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

Food color has an expiration date? I'm gonna have to go look at mine. I have some wilton paste thats 10yrs old that I used on my sons 1rst bday cake...be right back

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

I have both wilton paste and Americolor gel colors and none of them has an expiration date. As crisseyann stated, I also cant imagine whats in it that would go bad. And they're not that far expired I'd use them.

rabiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiosa Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you ladies, I ended up using them and everyone is doing fine! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 6

ive just received some Wilton colors from my aunt, the date on the box is 95! They are all sealed but they look like they dont look as "gelish" as my other colors, like they have solidified a bit. Ive not been brave enough to try them, do yall think they are ok?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%