Americolor's Bright White Vs Wilton's White-White

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 12:43am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:59am
post #1 of 25

When searching for cake decorating stuff I have found wilton white-white gel paste for $AU 10 but then found they also have an Americolor bright white gel paste for $AU 5!

So i was wondering do these products have the same purpose and work as well as each other because i can't find info on the americolor one but if it's cheaper and does the same thing as wilton, i might as well save money icon_smile.gif

24 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 25

I would like to know, too!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 25

I've never done a side-by-side comparison of these two particular products, but it has been my experience that when it comes to color, Americolor wins every time. I don't feel like it's much of a gamble to go with the Americolor here. thumbs_up.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 25

i have used both in my cookie icings and i find a big difference in that the wilton will affect the texture of my icing in an unpleasant way. i no longer use the wilton, just the americolor.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 25

Americolor wins hands down!!!!! That's pretty much the only brand I use any more. Their whites and all the other colors are true and predictable, and provide a better result while using much less than the Wilton colors.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 25

I've used both for painting and found that the Wilton remained tacky even after several days and was difficult to paint over. I love the Americolor white!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i have used both in my cookie icings and i find a big difference in that the wilton will affect the texture of my icing in an unpleasant way. i no longer use the wilton, just the americolor.

Yes, this happened to me too!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #8 of 25

mightydragon663: u mean u can paint with these like a white paint?!?

And awesome thanks for the replies, i'll go and get the americolor then and also want to look if they have a nice purple colour. I just have wiltons Violet colour but it ends up looking like a dull with a hint of grey purple which wasn't what i wanted icon_sad.gif

shebaben Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 25

I drive 25 extra miles to get the Americolor and it's worth every penny!

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:02am
post #10 of 25

Ok so i went to a cake decorating store today that had both and picked up the Americolor bright white and i asked the lady if i can lighten my buttercream with this and she said "Oh no no no no no! This one is just for painting!"....ook then! lol

So i was kinna stuck with what i thought and what she said but decided to just go with what she said cose she seemed so adament, but you guys are saying you can use both to lighten icing?

So i reluctantly bought the wilton one cose that's the only one that lightened things she was saying although you said the wilton one when used affected the texture in an unpleasant way....could you be more specific, is it really that bad? lol

BUT I am so happy that i found out the americolor one was for painting anyway, because i have wondered and searched for ages if there was any product that was like a white paint and then I could paint with it and finally i have the product i have been searching for woo hoo!!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:56am
post #11 of 25

I recently discovered the joy of painting with Americolor.

I can't tell you about the white. I can tell you about the super black. It gave me patent leather shoe black.

Painting with Wilton, was ugly and stayed sticky. I'm still trying to work on stuff 3 weeks later.

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:00am
post #12 of 25

i only have the wilton colours but yeh they will stay tacky for a while if i use them straight but when i dilute them with vodka they dry prefectly soon after. I paint pictures and gumpastes pieces with them, so much fun...and now i have an americolor white! hope it's good icon_smile.gif

Though when i run out of wilton i will definatly buy a couple of americolor to compare

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:05am
post #13 of 25

Elise - are the ones your talking about the same as the 3 bottom pictures on this link?

http://www.champagnecakes.com.au/colours2.html

Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:08am
post #14 of 25

yeh the americolour soft gel pastes, i just bought the white one though

.....i also bought an Americolor edible ink marker too, woo hoo!!!

I remember people saying not to get the wilton brand of the pens because they dry out easily

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:20am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

yeh the americolour soft gel pastes, i just bought the white one though

.....i also bought the Americolor edible ink marker too woo hoo!!!

I remember people saying not to get the wilton brand of the pens because they dry out easily

Thankyou - have been wanting to buy the edible ink marker -
Glad you mentioned about the others drying out - thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:21am
post #16 of 25

yep and the americolour marker has a nice fine tip too which is good

I decided to get one after i did 10 mobile phone cookies and using a small fine brush i hand painted every number and letter on all the buttons on the keypads and i thought there has to be a better way for things like this! then i found they made these, thank goodness! lol

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:09am
post #17 of 25
Quote:

I decided to get one after i did 10 mobile phone cookies and using a small fine brush i hand painted every number and letter on all the buttons on the keypads OMG - how good are you? and i thought there has to be a better way for things like this! then i found they made these, thank goodness! lol
Can't wait to see what you create with your new White Marker -
Your creative talents are second to non.

Bluehue

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:21am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:

I decided to get one after i did 10 mobile phone cookies and using a small fine brush i hand painted every number and letter on all the buttons on the keypads OMG - how good are you? and i thought there has to be a better way for things like this! then i found they made these, thank goodness! lol
Can't wait to see what you create with your new White Marker -
Your creative talents are second to non.

Bluehue

lol thanks! I actually bought a black marker and then the gel paint was white....the good thing about the white paint is that i can finally paint white on coloured gumpaste things etc as i couldn't before and it should be good for white details or highlights or something like that

shebaben Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 25

The Americolor white does a perfect job of lightening icing colors. I buy the bigger bottles of it and the other basics; black, red, purple.....Maybe that lady has an "interest" in selling Wilton???????

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 25

the americolor white can be used for lightening icing...though you need quite a bit to make a dramatic difference. i've used it many times to lighten icings i have accidentally make to darn dark (i try not to do this, but i have a 6 year old under foot and i often get distracted, lol).

i also use in in my glace to get a true white instead of the semi-translucent white that the glace naturally is.

the wilton white left sort of a subtle sandy texture and appearance in my glace....it was not smooth and silky looking like it normally is. it also did not have the shine that it normally has. so no more wilton white....just americolor.

diane

Elise87 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #21 of 25

aw damn it lol well i could only get a .75oz (21g) one of the americolor white anyway which wouldn't last me very long if i kept using it to whiten my icing, but i have the wilton now anyway icon_rolleyes.gif

shebaben: She didn't urge me to get the wilton, she just said i couldn't use the americolor for what i wanted and so to me wilton was the only other option lol

drakegore: well i only need it for buttercream but here's hoping by a wonderful miracle that it doesn't turn out too bad lol icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #22 of 25

I have painted on fondant, trying to make a Causasian "flesh" tone using various colours and the Wilton White-White. DO NOT DO IT! It never dried!! I did the faces of some Disney Princesses (in my photos), and the face never dried. All the other painted areas dried, but not the faces. So when I had to go and draw on the facial features with edible marker, it was like trying to draw on still-wet Elmer's white glue. It was a mess! Never again! In fact, I now avoid pictures with flesh colour on them because I have never found a gel colour that does flesh colour by itself (I use copper in buttercream with perfect results - I mean for painting on fondant) and mixing the Wilton White-White is horrible! I haven't tried the Americolor, but now that I know they have one, I will have to try it.

Elise87 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #23 of 25

tracey1970: thanks for the advice about not painting with wilton but even with that prob i reackon your disney princesses look great!

I'm going to test painting with the americolor white today or 2 mrw and will let you know how it goes and dries icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks, Elise!

Elise87 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #25 of 25

Ok, so i tested the americolour white to paint with and if you leave it long enough it will dry properly and you can easily write or paint ontop of it (i put it on semi thin). However if you dilute paste colours and paint on top of it the white will mix in with your paste color but if you use your gel pastes straight it won't mix.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%