Size Of Sheet Cake For 50-55 People?

Decorating By CherylJ Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 4:25pm by isabelm

CherylJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylJ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:26am
post #1 of 10

I am sorry if this has been posted before - the search function on the forums is not working...

I need to make a sheet cake for about 50-55 people for a cake auction that I offered a cake for. I do not typically do sheet cakes so the only pans I have are 9x13" and 9x9" (and I do not want to invest in a new pan if possible as I never make sheet cakes).

My original thought was if a 9x13" make about 24 brownies then I could place 2 side by side making a 18"x13" single layer cake. But is this too big a cake?

Could you let me know what you think? Should I do a smaller cake and do it double layer (I like the way double layer cakes look better anyways).

Any help would be greatly apprieciated!

9 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:36am
post #2 of 10

No I was going to say use the 15x18 so that would be close enough. If you need a few more make a few cupcakes. Have fun!!!!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 10

Typically I make a 12X18 to generously serve about 54, if you don't want to get a new pan I would suggest 2 9X9's which would serve about the same. I also torte my sheet's though so they go a little further. If you torted 2 9X9's you would have 54 servings. If it's for a donation perhaps two different cakes in different flavors to showcase your flavors. Be sure to supply business cards or some type of sign if this is a donation as you can also use it as a tax deduction.

Tracy

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbittner

Typically I make a 12X18 to serve 54, if you don't want to get a new pan I would suggest 2 9X9's which would serve about the same. I also torte my sheet's though so they go a little further. If you torted 2 9X9's you would have 54 servings. If it's for a donation perhaps two different cakes in different flavors to showcase your flavors. Be sure to supply business cards or some type of sign if this is a donation as you can also use it as a tax deduction.

Tracy

Sorry, but two 9x9s is only a 9x18.

Mike

tbittner Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you Mike, you are correct but one 9X9 torted serves 27 so double that for two 9X9 cakes as suggested and you get 54 servings.
Tracy

I go off Earlene's serving chart which is more generous than Wilton's.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbittner

Thank you Mike, you are correct but one 9X9 torted serves 27 so double that for two 9X9 cakes as suggested and you get 54 servings.
Tracy

I go off Earlene's serving chart which is more generous than Wilton's.

Are you talking a two LAYER 9x9? If so, then two 9x9's would actually be FOUR cakes, if they are 2 layer.

To get 27 servings, you'd have to cut the 9x9x9 cake in 9 rows by 3 columns. On a single layer cake, that's 1x2x3" (pieces cut in 1x3" and they would be 2" tall) .... 6 cubic inches.

A 2-layer cake, when cut in industry standard 1x2x4 (8 cubic inches), would be cut in approx 4 rows by 9 columns or approx 36 servings.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 10

I do not yet have a "half sheet" (12x1icon_cool.gif pan, so when I need to do a "half sheet" (which is rare), I make two "quarter sheets" (9x13) and put them long side by long side, using some icing to help glue the edges together. Actually I bake 4 cakes total, as I make my sheet cakes 2 layers.

tbittner Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, I am suggesting 2 4" high 9x9 square cakes to accommodate the servings the OP is requesting. According to Earlene's guide it would serve 27 people each.
I apologize if this was not clear.
Tracy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 10

thanks, Tracy. I thought so by your numbers, and just wanted to clarify.

isabelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelm Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 10

Hi

If you are using a cake tin 9x13 and making a recipe from scratch how many repetitions of the recipe should i make?

.    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting .    2 cups sugar .    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (packaging divided by 5) .    2 teaspoons baking soda .    1 teaspoon baking powder .    1 teaspoon kosher salt .    1 cup buttermilk .    1/2 cup vegetable oil .    2 large eggs .    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract .    1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%