Australian Cc's - Did You Know About This - I Didn't

Decorating By Bluehue Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 1:42am by Elise87

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #1 of 52

So i am sitting here thinking - what is *Marshmallow Fluff* and more to the point what do you do with it icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif as i see it mentioned around the board.

So, again i go Google - and low and behold what do i see - a place over East where you can actually purchase foods from the USA -

http://www.usafoods.com.au/index.php

ARE YOU KDDING ME !!!!! - icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
WHY WASN'T I TOLD icon_cry.gificon_wink.gif
HOW COME I NEVER KNEW THIS icon_cry.gificon_wink.gif

And, i also see alot written about Duncan Hines - which we don't have on our shelves - and wouldn't you know it - there it is - on the above web site - icon_surprised.gif

So, just from pure curiosity i am going to go order some DH on line and
try it.
Yes, i always weigh my own ingrediants- bake from scratch as it is called - but this DH has me intrigued and lets not forget the Marshmallow Fluff - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Hope if i order some it tells me on the packet what i am meant to do with it - icon_biggrin.gificon_redface.gif

Do any other Austrlian CC's buy from here ?
Guess i have been living under a rock ............. apparently. dunce.gifouch.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

51 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:14am
post #2 of 52

This was discussed previously here, but it was way back when CC was still pretty new. Glad you brought the subject back up again.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:55am
post #3 of 52

Yes I knew. I've never bought anything though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

ARE YOU KDDING ME !!!!! - icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

In future I shall let you know everything I learn new here. icon_wink.gif

On second thought, your inbox mightn't be big enough!

Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:18am
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Yes I knew. I've never bought anything though.

Quote:

In future I shall let you know everything I learn new here. icon_wink.gif

On second thought, your inbox mightn't be big enough!

LOL
Thankyou - your too kind - guess i just need to crawl out from under my rock occassionally and have a look around icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 52

They have Liquid Smoke, Salt Water Taffy and Death Sauce - do we REALLY want to know??? what the hell is taffy?

On another note, have any of you guys tried making MMF? I can't find anywhere that sells plain white marshmallows. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome, it's gotta taste better than our store bought stuff surely! icon_cool.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 52

Taffy is a candy made with salt water.Awesome!!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 52

lthiele: Are you from Aust?

Cose if you are then i would recommend using 'Pascall' brand marshmallows, i use them all the time for my MMF. Although if you can find them i use to buy the packets of the bigger sized Pascall marshmallows that are all white but i can't find them any more so i jsut have to buy the packets with the mixture of pink and white, and just use the white and eat the pink lol

It's annoying that i have to do that but i find the pascall brand ones work really well and taste good (i don't usually even flavour my MMF because the white marshmallows are already vanilla flavoured) icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 52

lthiele - i Googled White marshmallows in Australia and this link came up - nothing for Cole, Woollies or IGA - icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
Not sure what state you are in - but i see you can either get them in small packs or larger ones.......AND THEY ARE VANILLA FLAVOURED - thumbs_up.gif
Also - see what i wrote below to Elise87
Hope this helps you a bit..

http://www.confectionerywarehouse.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

Kiddiekakes ...Taffy is a candy made with salt water.Awesome!!
Candy made with Salt Water - icon_surprised.gif - have never heard of that - wow - must g have another look at that USA Foods link.

Elise87
I can remember ages ago seeing them in Kmart - might have a look on Saturday and see if they still sell them - if so i shall come back to this thread and let you all know.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 52

Salt water taffy isn'tmade with salt water. It does have salt in it and it's delicious!!!!!!!!! The best salt water taffy is made at candy stores that are located on the beach, hence salt water taffy. there is a story that it was called that the firdt time, cause a candy maker had dropped his in some salt water. Marina's in Santa Cruz, California is the best! Death sauce is probably a REALLY hot, hot sauce. Marshmallow fondant actually taste really good.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 52

I've made MMF, and LOVE it! You should be able to buy white marshmallows anywhere where there is a bulk food store, as the cafe's buy them to make hot chocolates with. I get them in 1kg packs here for $6.95.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 52

Best use for Marshmallow Fluff is on a spoon and into the mouth! YUMMM!!!!! haha

It's like a jar of melted marshmallow gooey goodness that you can spoon out and stir into hot chocolate, put on a graham cracker with a piece of chocolate bar for a fast S'Mores or just plain spoon into the ole pie hole!

lthiele Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 52

Ok thanks guys, I'll keep looking. There is a big wholesaler in Newcastle where I get my shortening, but they dont have marshmallows on their list (every other lolly of course! icon_sad.gif )

I think I've seen that marshmallow gooey stuff in the jar near the Peanut Butter etc in the supermarket. So is that what they use for clouds? Can you pipe it or shape it with your hands? I wonder if you can melt it down for MMF?

This is a good thread, good to know what other Aussies are using. Can I add another question Bluehue? Do you all use the American style shortening only buttercreams? I HATE the taste of it, if I have to have a white cake I use fondant. I've had trouble though with some of my colours in the "Butter" buttercream, my blues go greeny etc. Is there any way to correct that and still keep the butter? Thx Lauren icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 52

Just so you know there is a lot of Americans that use Italian Meringue or Swiss Meringue buttercream. A few make French buttercream. And not everyone who makes Amercian frostings use shortening. A lot of people who make American buttercream use actual butter & not shortening. I make IMBC myself and love it!

lthiele Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

I've made MMF, and LOVE it! You should be able to buy white marshmallows anywhere where there is a bulk food store, as the cafe's buy them to make hot chocolates with. I get them in 1kg packs here for $6.95.

Thank you! I just had a look at your pics, your cakes are so good! I couldn't quite figure out what the bright green one was from the thumbnail, so I opened it and it jumped right out at me! I called my 6 yr old son in to have a look, his wide eyed response. AWE.................SOME!!!! I want that cake when I turn 8! I'm petrified of snakes!! icon_eek.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhendry

Best use for Marshmallow Fluff is on a spoon and into the mouth! YUMMM!!!!! haha

It's like a jar of melted marshmallow gooey goodness that you can spoon out and stir into hot chocolate, put on a graham cracker with a piece of chocolate bar for a fast S'Mores or just plain spoon into the ole pie hole!

have you tried marshmallow fluff with cream cheese whipped together?? DEEEElicious!! it sounds strange, but dang is it good. especially with graham crackers or apples.

also, i used to live about a mile from the beach and one of our biggest tourists attractions (besides the dunes and pier of course) was the candy shop that made it's saltwater taffy in the window of the store. we locals always knew to walk on the other side of the street when it was candy making time or else we'd get lost in the crowd looking through the window!

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #16 of 52

i just buy my pascall marshmallows from coles or woolworths (previously safeway here)...i like the name safeway better lol

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #17 of 52

Don't forget to look up the cake extender recipes if you buy Duncan Hines, the mixes go a lot further & are really delicious.CC has some really good ones.

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhendry

LOL

It's like a jar of melted marshmallow gooey goodness that you can spoon out and stir into hot chocolate, put on a graham cracker Thats another thing i see on CC - never seen - have no idea what type of biscuit they are - wether cream, sweet plain - nope, no idea. with a piece of chocolate bar for a fast S'Mores S'Mores - arghhh another *i don't know about* icon_redface.gif or just plain spoon into the ole pie hole! Now this i could do - lol lol

Bluehue.

Elise - strange how some Coles and Woollies carry them and not others - especially over here -

superstar - oh - will have a search - never done an *extended recipe* before - see, its true - you learn something new everyday - lol

CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #19 of 52

I'm from a small town in Tassie and the only marshmellows you get are pascall white and pink mix - First Time I made MMF (Thank you CC for opening my eyes to the world of other things then a chocolate cake, buttercream icing and ganash) anyway, it was a lovely pink colour... lol I didnt want to buy two packs and pick out all the pink marshmellows just to make white MMF!!

I'm lazy

Also, I really hate buying online... My partner does and he has all the troubles in the world. I tend to make do or go without. BUT with recommedations - I could give the LINK a try!!

So I've read through this, But haven't seen anywhere that people "RECOMMEND THE SITE"
anyone wish to comment on experiance, price, package and handling and service? do they all satisfy you? (The USA site)

Anyway, I have seen this site come up in descussion before - I'm a learner too, though I've been making/decorating amiture cakes since I was 12, I still learn ALOT... so Thanks everyone on CC

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #20 of 52

Hi CupCake-Caitlan,
So I've read through this, But haven't seen anywhere that people "RECOMMEND THE SITE"
anyone wish to comment on experiance, price, package and handling and service? do they all satisfy you? (The USA site)

Yes, i am hoping that some Australian CC's will come on and say if they have used this site - and what they think of the service..will be interesting.

Altho i will go and order one and two things - i guess that way i will know for myself then - and i shall come back and let you know what the service/products etc were like.

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #21 of 52

Yes, i am hoping that some Australian CC's will come on and say if they have used this site - and what they think of the service..will be interesting.

Altho i will go and order one and two things - i guess that way i will know for myself then - and i shall come back and let you know what the service/products etc were like.

Bluehue

Thanks Bluehue,

That would be really helpful, but lets hope that someone else will pick up on this forum and get back to us. Considering I'm in "what they all call" Rural town on the west coast - There isn't many options here, so Online would be easier. I usually have a day in the city to get all my stuff.. which isnt much. *Sigh

Thanks again,
Caitlin.

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #22 of 52

CupCake Caitlan - Considering I'm in "what they all call" Rural town on the west coast - There isn't many options here, so Online would be easier. I usually have a day in the city to get all my stuff.. which isnt much. *Sigh

This is a web site that might interest you - Dawn at Champagne Cakes - if you ever have a question just email her - cannot fault her service.
http://www.champagnecakes.com.au/index.html

Mind you - i can drive there in 30 minutes - but she is one of the best suppliers and so very helpful.

Bluehue

Forgot to add - you can pay by PayPal - which is very secure and trouble free.

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #23 of 52

This is a web site that might interest you - Dawn at Champagne Cakes - if you ever have a question just email her - cannot fault her service.
http://www.champagnecakes.com.au/index.html

Mind you - i can drive there in 30 minutes - but she is one of the best suppliers and so very helpful.

Bluehue

Eeeeeeehhhh... Thank you, I love this site. The flavouring looks like the bottle my mother got when she first moved out of home - all 21 years ago. I loved it (the flavouring didnt specify a use by date, so I used it, hehe for years) anyway Thank you. I really appreciate this. Its a 2.5hour drive one way and the other way is 3/4hours to the city. Our stores stock the basics.

And it has cute books.

My partner has an Ebay account with paypal. and the site has a store on there as well.. so this should be good

Thank you
Caitlin

lthiele Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #24 of 52

[quote="Bluehue
superstar[/b:c1019cc6e8] - oh - will have a search - never done an *extended recipe* before - see, its true - you learn something new everyday - lol[/quote]

BluehueI have just pulled 2 choc cakes out of the oven, using an extended recipe. Of course I got it from CC it's called "Enhanced Cake Formula". I use Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix and the only extra I do is add 1tbs of choc flavouring. It is soooooooooo good!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:51am
post #25 of 52

Caitlin, I live at Port Sorell, and I find that I can rarely get what I need in Devonport or Burnie or Launceston. I often end up having to order over the internet. I've never had a problem with what I've ordered off ebay.

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:50am
post #26 of 52

Caitlyn, I live in Tassie too - recently I bought marshmallows direct from Cadburys factory - ohhhhhhhh my goodness!!! Deeeeee-licious!! Soft and fresh and puffy/powdery. Mmm they were good - all white too. If you ever come to Hobart, I'd definitely recommend a visit to Cadburys icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:05am
post #27 of 52

Now that is what is so good about this forum - other CC's letting us know about where to get things - especially Dellllllicious Marshmallows- thumbs_up.gif

(don't you just love them bopping around on top of a hot Milo on a cold winters night) icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:25am
post #28 of 52

Rocky Road:

use Marshmallows, lindt 75% chocolate (u can use others but if you don't mind a darker more bitter taste this is great plus the marshmallows add sweetness anyway), peanuts and coconut...YUM!

Oh P.S don't use 'Savings' brand marshmallows, i tried them once and found they were very very spongy marshmallows and when i finished making my small bit of fondant, whenever i rolled it out or something it would bounce right back into it's original shape, it's like it never lost it's original consitency of a marshmallow so i just threw it out lol

mayatlan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayatlan Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:37am
post #29 of 52

Hi! I live in Melbourne - Australia, and yes I have used USA FOOODS, they have a lot of good products, and you will not be disappointed with the service, is EXCELLENT, if they don't have the product you are after, they will get it for you and let you know when is ready. I have been buying from them for the last 2 years. Hope this help.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #30 of 52
Quote:

Do any other Austrlian CC's buy from here ?
Guess i have been living under a rock ............. apparently. dunce.gifouch.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

....don't worry, my new nickname will be Patrick (from spongebob), he lives under a rock so I think you and I must be neighbours - I have nothing constructive to add but I have learnt a whole bunch from this thread, thanks for bringing to our attention thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%