Cookies On A Stick, On A Cake

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm by SandiOh

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 6

Hey, for my sons birthday he requested a cake with balloons and lots of colors. ( He is turning three. ) I was thinking of making sugar cookies in the shape of balloons and baking them on a stick, and then sticking them on top of the cake. Do you think they will tilt or sink into the cake? Also, thinking of maybe putting gumballs on a wire? I just want to stay away from too much fondant... Any ideas?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #2 of 6

HEre's a cake I made with cookies-on-a-stick: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=812133

As small as those flower cookies were, I thought they'd stand ok. They didn't. I had to cut the sucker sticks down to nothing so the cookies would be "propped" up on the cake ... sort of stuck in place by the icing.

The trees. oh, god, the trees. Those were almost a lost cause. If you look close, you'll see I've got little flower cookies propped up behind the trees to hold the trees up.

So what I figured out AFTER doing this cake: Use some coffee stirrers or straws in the cake, then push the cookie sticks inside those. That will help hold them in place.

I've seen a number of cakes where the cookies were placed on the sides of the cake, attached with icing or melted chocolate. Is this a possibility?

Hope my almost-disaster story helps a little!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

The the cookie balloons on a stick will work. One caution is to not put the balloons in the cake until near party time.

I made an Easter basket cakes with cookie "eggs"

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207072

I wanted to see how they would look, so I put them in the night before the party. They were leaning the next morning, moisture from the cake softened the sticks.

So, I had to reposition all of them, saved the cake, but it had lots of holes in it, when it was cut, it all fell apart. Tasted good though icon_wink.gif

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 6

I used sugar cookies on a cake for my nephew since he doesn't like cake (go figure)

I used flower spikes in the cake. I piped a bit of thick icing into the spike to act as cement. Then I did a small bobble of the thick icing on top of the spike to cover the whole then stuck the cookie on a stick through and into the spike.

It had the look of candle holders.

no tipping, no falling over, or tons of holes. I could have long sticks and short sticks.

I just made sure to tell my sister when she was cutting that the spikes were in there. (and with the icing bobble they were easy to find)

The photo is the graduation one in my photos.

good luck!!

-Sox

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6

I ended up using gumballs on a wire, with a mike and ike on the bottom, and I was thrilled with how they came out. My husband told me they looked like curious george's balloons, which was the biggest compliment!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 6

Niki11784 those balloons are cute, and a good idea. I used the flavored candy melts and made candy clay out of them and attached to a sucker stick and put them into cupcakes. they are in my photos, it's the puppy cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%