What's The Best Way To Make Black Royal Icing?

Baking By Mickeebabe Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 2:44am by emilyc262

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 7

What's the best way to make black royal icing?

I thought I read here recently that someone used cocoa powder to make it brown first and then it was easier to color it black, but I can't find that.

Any help and thoughts would be apprecited.

Thank you.

6 replies
pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

I only use Toba's recipe but. . . I use dark cocoa and that almost makes it black - just have to add a little black color. And I've thickened it enough to make tassles on graduation caps.
I think someone mentioned that black changes the consistency of royal icing. Hopefully one of the pros will respond.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:28am
post #3 of 7

My best method is to make whatever recipe you use, keep it a bit thick, add the super black gel and then cover tightly and let it sit for at least a day or two. The color deepens over time - any time I make it and want to use it immediately, it always comes out dark gray (if I'm lucky) so that's when I started doing it in advance. HTH

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 7

As the above mentioned. I started with cocoa (and it taste better, chocolate!) then I add black, even after a few hours you will have nice black. When I add cocoa, the RI will change the consistency for stiff, so I do add a few drops of water.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 7

I start with red and blue gel colors in a very stiff peak RI and get it to a murky color then add black. Then I let down to the desired consistency with drops of water.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 7

If you buy Americolor super black - your RI will get black in no time! It's amazing!!

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:44am
post #7 of 7

I second Americolor super black. You don't have to use an excessive amount to get solid black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%