<3 Love Love Love My New Airbrush!!!

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 17

OK, so I don't think I'll ever mix another red or black batch of fondant to cover a cake! Although this is my first official try with it, I'm pretty pleased. This red color turned out gorgeous!

I am sooooo happy with this investment.
Harbor Freight rocks!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1463964.html

16 replies
superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 17

Please tell me which one you bought, I want to buy one but there are so many out there & I know nothing about them. Was it very expensive? Your cake looks great.

chilz822 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #3 of 17

Nah, it was very inexpensive. I bought it at my local Harbor Freight shop, got the brush and compressor for around $75.
here's what I got:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95810

I was sooooo pleased with the way the red turned out and the black bow. I could never have gotten that depth with mixing color in and monkeying up the texture and/or taste!

superstar Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #4 of 17

Thanks so much chilz822, is it easy to use & clean? I really like what I see. Any tips you can give me will be gratefully accepted.LOL

chilz822 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 17

It was super easy to use and clean. I know nothing about airbrushing aside from spraying the cake, but now I'm excited to learn! It was so much easier and cleaner than trying to mix colored fondant.
I'm off to Americolor's site to order more colors! I want to try the silver sheen...

(hint: if you enter 'cupcake' in the coupon code when ordering, they give you 20% off at americolor.org)
fondantsource.com also does this if you use cakecentral in their coupon code box.

Good luck with it!

superstar Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 17

Thanks so much!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #7 of 17

I had decided to buy an airbrush this week, but after talking to some local cakers, didn't, because they all said the less expensive ones wouldn't work. I don't really want to spend a whole lot on an experiment, and don't do cakes professionally.
I am glad to hear your experience, and may have to pull that Michael's 50% coupon out again tomorrow!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Nah, it was very inexpensive. I bought it at my local Harbor Freight shop, got the brush and compressor for around $75.
here's what I got:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95810

I was sooooo pleased with the way the red turned out and the black bow. I could never have gotten that depth with mixing color in and monkeying up the texture and/or taste!

Thank you so much for posting this! My airbrush that is 30 years old bit the dust, not just the compressor but the actual airbrush too! I was so depressed because the exact one from Kopykake that I had before was SOOO expensive. This is even better than the one I had! Can't wait to go get this!

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 17

does it have an adjustable psi ?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 17

wow what a buy!

i bought a paasche the last time...and i love it...i use the airbrush everyday!

i think i might buy this one for metallics....thanks for the heads up!

quite a deal on the compressor too!

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 17

Have you airbrushed BC? I would like to have one, but I don't use fondant enough to make such a big investment. So if any one has airbrushed BC let me know what you think! Thanks!

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:51am
post #12 of 17

I used my for the first time today. It is so cool!! I didn't airbrush BC but I used it on RI roses. They came out beautifully. I got the sheen and metallic colors along with the basic 12 that came with my airbrush and compressor. I used the silver and it came out so good. (They are the Americolors.)
I'll be trying on BC soon!!

chilz822 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:56am
post #13 of 17

laceycakes, can I see what the silver looks like on your roses? do you have a pic?

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #14 of 17

Unfortunately, I didn't use it on the roses. I piped my stepdaughters initials and sprayed them silver. When I went to take them off the wax paper, the letters broke. So the met Mr. Trash Can. Sorry icon_redface.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 17

Wow, that seems like a great deal! I'd like to know about using it on buttercream as well.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 17

Wow what a super deal! I was thinking it would be $200.00.
What is the differnce and benefit of having an adjustable PSI?

chilz822 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 17

I think you would want to crank to PSI down if it was blowing too hard (damaging BC because the force of the spray is too hard). The one I got is 30psi and I have only used it on fondant and it was perfect. I believe that you can get a psi regulator to adjust it if necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%