Edible Tissue Paper?

Decorating By RitchVisions Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm by Loucinda

RitchVisions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitchVisions Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a way to make something like this? I am looking to replicate a gift bag and was thinking of just placing real tissue paper up top to look like it is coming out of the bag. Was just wondering if anyone has ever done such a thing that is edible?

7 replies
HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 8

I have seen quite a few photos of gift bags and shoe boxes where people have used fondant for tissue paper. Hope this helps.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 8

I made some fake tissue paper out of gumpaste. You can see it in my pictures (the shopping bag). Of course, I am not anywhere near a professional, so someone else might have a better tip. I made mine in a rush and it was for family, so I didn't get it perfect, but there are plenty of others on CC that have done it and it looks amazing! If you don't get any more responses, you could always look through the galleries and PM them and ask how they did it. Most people on here are very friendly and willing to help out! Good luck!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchVisions

Is there a way to make something like this? I am looking to replicate a gift bag and was thinking of just placing real tissue paper up top to look like it is coming out of the bag. Was just wondering if anyone has ever done such a thing that is edible?

I made The tissue paper on my gift box cake by rolling fondant really thin. Then I used paper towel to support it so it did nto dry flat. If you want yours to stnad up you can use The same technique with gumpaste or a mixture or gumpaste and fondant let the pieces dry then add to you cake.

Here is one of my gift box cakes with fondant tissue.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43231

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchVisions

I made The tissue paper on my gift box cake by rolling fondant really thin. Then I used paper towel to support it so it did nto dry flat. If you want yours to stnad up you can use The same technique with gumpaste or a mixture or gumpaste and fondant let the pieces dry then add to you cake.

Here is one of my gift box cakes with fondant tissue.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43231

windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 8

I've been playing around with the gelatin bows that everyone has been talking about on CC; if you make a gelatin sheet, you fold and crinkle it almost like tissue paper.

It isn't quite as pliable, but it should work well for what you're looking for. It's semi-see through, so you could add sparkles for a nice effect.

If you missed the thread on the gelatin bows and flowers, it's here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630413-.html

Colleen

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #7 of 8

In my pix I did a Tiffany Box Cake using Jennifer Dontz's pearl clay for the "tissue." It worked great! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 8

If you use gumpaste/fondant/clay - roll it very thin, cut it into small squares or rectangles, then "cup" it and set it into a (cleaned) egg carton to set up right to dry - that way it isn't flat tissue paper. You then just take those pieces and stick them down into your bag or box - and you have some dimension to it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%