Instructions For A Shoe Box Cake?

Decorating By lOIDA Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm by lOIDA

lOIDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lOIDA Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a shoe & shoe box cake next weekend, I've been able to find templates and instructions for a shoe, but I can't seem to find anything on how to make the actual shoe box (especially the lid)... does anyone know where I can find this? THANKS!

2 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lOIDA

I'm doing a shoe & shoe box cake next weekend, I've been able to find templates and instructions for a shoe, but I can't seem to find anything on how to make the actual shoe box (especially the lid)... does anyone know where I can find this? THANKS!

You can make the lid several ways.

1. You can cover your cake with buttercream or fondant, then measure the top and cut a rectangle of fondant about 2 inches larger in length and width. You then remove a "V" about 1 inch from each corner ( I use a square cutter for this) then lay the fondant on the cake....where the V was cut will become two straight sides when draped over the cake...moisten the edges and smooth them together.

OR

2. Measure the size of the box cake and cut a block of white styrofoam about 1/2 in larger in length and width. Roll out fondant or gumpaste just as in #1 above, brush with a bit of water, the drape the styrofoam and smooth into place....this method is especially nice if you want to place the lid crooked so that it looks like the box has been opened.....tuck in some fondant "tissue" between box and lid for a nice effect.

lOIDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lOIDA Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much! I would love to have it propped open but want it all edible... Could I do the propped open version with fondant or would that not harden enough?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%