Another Added To My "do Not Sell Cakes To" List.

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 3:15am by bemecheli

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 18

I have a coworker who is/was a fairly good friend of mine and our kids are great friends. She has ordered several cakes from me in the past and has always dropped by my office to pay me the week before.

The past weekend she had a birthday party (which we attended) and I made the cake. She said last week she would drop up with the money but then said she would give me it at the party, she said at the party she would pay me on Monday and didn't, and I have no idea when she plans on paying. Granted, the cake did not turn out nearly as well as I had hoped and the FBCT did not work that well, but she said she liked it, her daughter and all the kids loved it, several other parents said it was lovely, but because I felt bad about it I gave her a discount. It was supposed to be $35 and I only asked for $20. 90% or so of the cake was eaten, and according to her Facebook status her family finished off the cake at home.

I wrote her an email early yesterday morning to advise her that I was in the office if she wanted to drop back that day. She did not reply to the email, although I knew she was here as I saw her from a distance (huge building here!!).

I want to just say "where is my money" but hate to put bad feelings between us. I need a polite way to say give me my money. Ugh, I hate these kind of situations, and I don't know what to do...

Thanks in advance,

17 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 18

Twenty dollars is twenty dollars, no matter who owes it. It is a shame she has put you in this awkward position.

I would email her again with a high priority notice and tell her that you hate that it seems you have to nag, but you need payment today, that the money you used to make her cake came out of the household funds (I am assuming here) and that you need to reimburse the house for what you put into her cake.

Shame on her.
thumbsdown.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 18

There is nothing wrong with saying, "Hey <co-worker>, I just wanted to remind you about the $20 for the cake I made last week." It's not aggressive or rude to politely ask for what's owed you.

It's not personal, it's business.

And if the cake was eaten, IMO, a discount was not necessary. This is a slippery slope, and unfortunately for some people (not saying this is your friend at all), once they see a way to take advantage of you they won't hesitate to do it. Especially if you happen to be a nice person, which you seem to be.

Don't sweat it. Just ask for the money. thumbs_up.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 18

I'm so appaled at how people will behave. She should be embarrassed to show her face around the office. Nontheless - I would send her an invoice if she doesn't pay up. I agree with Win - SHAME ON HER. $35 is a pretty cheap cake; you couldn't buy a cupcake anywhere else for $20; you've been more than fair... demand your $20. I wouldn't worry about being rude at this point, she's the rude one. Asking someone to pay you your $$ isn't rude. Good luck - I know it can get awkward. icon_rolleyes.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 18

I agree, she's the one being rude and putting a bad feeling between the 2 of you. And holy cow $20 for a cake??? I'm pretty sure its more than that at the grocery store for a 2week old one thats been sitting in the wharehouse freezer since last july!

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 18

I hate to say it, but she has already put bad feelings between you for paying for her cake. At this point I would just ask for the money and be done with it. I agree with bbmom grocery store cakes cost more than that and you don't know how long they have been around.

Take a deep breath .... and go get your money!!!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 18

It is amazing how people can be. I made a zombie for a co-worker and she hasn't paid either. I had to rent a kitchen just to make the cake "legal" and have it ready for her. I am having to resort to small claims court now. It is seriously wrong when people want a service or product and then refuse to pay. When was the last time you went for a manicure, hair cut/color and told the stylist you will be by later in the week with payment? That would be a no go from the start! So why should you let friends and coworkers mess you over? Stand firm and demand your payment. I am sure your cake was nice as we are all our own worst critic and they did say they loved it. Chin up, hand out, demand payment!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 18

Well, I'm sorry you're having to go through this but here is what I do. I use the cakeboss invoice system and I email my clients an invoice. In the case of a coworker or friend, I email them a copy of the invoice and tell them I need to collect payment so you can "close out" the account.

It's great because it makes people think they are holding up your accounting. Never the less, you should by no means have to do this, but sending them a cakeboss invoice always works for me.

Rhonda

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 18

Note to self - don't accept any more cake orders from her. You can tell her that she is making you feel uncomfortable that you have to keep asking her for the money - the blame lies squarely on her shoulders.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 18

I've pondered how I would handle it if I took a cake to a party where payment was still due. I usually resort to humor in these situations. I would not have any problem bringing it in, letting everyone see it and ooh and ahh about it, and then saying to the hostess, "Okay, until I get paid for this cake, everyone keep your distance and no one will get hurt!!" or something dopey and obvious like that. All that with a big, pleasant smile on my face, making direct eye contact with the hostess. That's a nice, passive-aggressive way to shame her into paying like she agreed to. If she had the bad form to say she didn't have any cash or check, I'd say, well folks I guess we'll need to sell this cake to you by the slice..."

Why in the world do you feel bad about putting bad feelings between you?!?!? She's already done that, but as far as I can tell you're the only one who is feeling bad. Go tell her you need to have payment for the cake before the end of the work day.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #11 of 18

With a stranger, I would have no problem asking. I emailed her again at 6am when I got to work (she starts at 9) and said I was hoping to see her on Monday but haven't seen her since the party, and mentioned that I hoped her or her kids were not sick. She brought me the money at 9:30, actually she brought me the full $35.... I'm just glad I have it, but will not be making her other daughter's cake if she asks in March.

Here, $35 for a 9x13 single layer with bc icing is expensive. The grocery store charges $24, other home bakers/decoraters charge around $30.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 18

Just remember... you are NOT a grocery store. And you weren't that much higher than the other home bakers. Don't sell yourself short!!

I'm glad you got your payment!!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #13 of 18

It's not worth the energy. Forget the $20, next time she wants a cake get the money up front. Time will pass and you won't be bothered by it and you will still have a friend. Good Luck

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:47am
post #14 of 18

YEAH!!! I wouldn't turn down her future cake (since she DID pay you), but I would tell her about your "new policy" that you require payment now at the time of ordering or else you can't take the order. icon_biggrin.gif I am also learning this.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #15 of 18

OH AND I would tell her about your new price increase as well. icon_lol.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

OH AND I would tell her about your new price increase as well. icon_lol.gif

Heck ya! That is the best advice I have read lately! icon_lol.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #17 of 18

I agree with a previous poster's comment about sending a professional invoice. ESPECIALLY if you're friends, so you don't have to deal with the "Oh, I keep forgetting. I'll just bring it the next time we get together." It's just business, and you shouldn't feel bad about sending a bill to a client.

bemecheli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemecheli Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:15am
post #18 of 18

I had the same thing happen to me ill pay you b/4 we leave work, turned into can i get you tomarrow,which turned in to a weak into next payday, and she kept raveing over how everyone loved the cake and it was all gone. Well after a weak and 1/2 On payday,I just asked her "hey ----------do you have the payment for the cake i made you, and after she came from lunch she paid me , lesson learned from now on COD or even better payment in full no latter then 2 days before cake dilivery. I will not be giveing her a disc on her next cake order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%