Glycerine Is Glycerine Is Glycerine - Right?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm by grandmom

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 5

So wilton glycerine is expensive for a tiny bottle. I use it up pretty darn quick w/ macsmom's BC fondant. So CVS has a 6oz. bottle for 4.99. Haven't checked w/ wal-mart yet. Before I get me a jug from online somewheres... Is 100% glycerine what is used? I never looked at the ingredients on the wilton bottle. SO Glycerine is glycerine is glycerine - right? I know it can be used for soaps & such. I just don't want anyone foaming at the mouth as they eat my fondant!!!!

4 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

Just be sure it is USP (U.S. Pharmacopoeia) grade. There are several grades of glycerine sold - only USP is recommended for consumption. Most that you will encounter in a pharmacy, health food store, or cake store will be okay to use, but a big honkin jug on-line at a lower price may be CP (chemically pure) instead.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 5

I have found what I consider a good bargain on glycerine. I went online in search of a larger quantity because I spent too much time looking around for that puny Wilton's bottle! I found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0R6Y2/?tag=cakecentral-20

I checked to be sure this glycerine is safe to consume. Excerpt from webpage:

What is the source of NOW® Vegetable Glycerine, and can it be used as a sweetener?

NOW® Vegetable Glycerine is a natural by-product of the cosmetic industry. It is derived from palm oil and is 100% pure. Vegetable Glycerine is safe to use as a natural sweetener, and actually metabolizes slower than regular table sugar.

I also found this deal on unflavored gelatin:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELL3MI/?tag=cakecentral-20

If you subscribe to PRIME shipping from Amazon, you get this stuff fast and with no additional shipping charges. This brings the cost of MFF down dramatically. If I could only find a good deal on white chocolate, corn syrup and PS (not a business owner)!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 5

grandmom, I buy a single 16oz bottle of that brand of glycerine at Sun Harvest for $7. It even goes on sale sometimes. So if you have Sun Harvest in your area, you might check it out, so you wouldn't have to pay shipping icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

Dang it, Texas Rose! $7?? That's crazy cheap. But to the best of my knowledge we have no Sun Harvest in these parts - never heard of it.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%