Dry Cakes

Decorating By MaryAlice Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 11:47pm by MaryAlice

MaryAlice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAlice Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:19am
post #1 of 8

I need help with my cakes. I am getting comments from a few of my customers that my cakes are very dry. Others are saying the cakes taste great. I am currently using box mixes that are super moist, and I am using two commercial convection ovens. I am not sure which oven the possible dry cakes are baked in, as I just started getting these reports of dry cakes. Is it possible that I am over baking some of the cakes, or my ovens may be off? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:24am
post #2 of 8

The most like cause of dry cakes is overbaking. Start checking your checks earlier than you used to. Remember those ovens cook faster/more efficiently than a home oven, so your time and temperature have to be adjusted accordingly for recipes/directions formulated for home baking.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #3 of 8

Did you try putting a pan of water in the oven as others w/ convection have?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 8

Both previous posters are spot on - lower your temp, for a commercial oven you may even need to go down to 275 (per indydebi) - put a small pan of water in the bottom of the oven - and watch your time. IF you take the cake out of the oven when a toothpick is CLEAN - you have already over baked it. You need to have a few cumbs on the toothpick - try these tips and I bet you will be fine.

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:21am
post #5 of 8

You might also try brushing your cake layers with simple syrup before frosting them.

If your cake box recipe calls for water, use whole milk instead. Fats are a moistening agent.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:29am
post #6 of 8

You've already gotten sound advice, so I'll just recommend two very moist doctored cake mix recipes:
(WASC cake with flavor variations.)

http://tinyurl.com/2cus84

http://tinyurl.com/l8zb4y

HTH

Edited to correct broken link.

JstBCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JstBCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8

I use 4 whole eggs per cake mix for mine and also bake at 325*... icon_smile.gif

MaryAlice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAlice Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 8

Sorry for the delay in thanking you all for the great advice. Getting our cake business going has been a lot of work as the orders are rushing in and little time for anything else. I do not want to lose customers due to dry cakes. One of our ovens is a montague convection oven, but the fan is too strong so we turn the fan off when baking cakes. The other oven is a Turbofan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%