Proof That Freezing Does Not Hurt Cakes!

Decorating By prterrell Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm by catlharper

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:38am
post #1 of 16

I was cleaning out our deep freezer today and ran across a layer of chocolate cake left over from a cake I'd baked in June, of 2008. Took it out, I'd wrapped it well, so it wasn't freezer burnt. Sliced of a bit and nuked it in the microwave on 50% power for a minute because I like to eat my uniced chocolate cake warm. MMmmmmmm! It tastes just like I'd just baked it. Sooooo good! You absolutely could not tell it'd been in the freezer for over a year! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 16

That is really cool!!! Knowing that cake could be in a freezer that long and still taste delicious!!!! Thanks for posting that info

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #3 of 16

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Sounds great!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #4 of 16

I've had cake in there for a few months myself and made it for the family with icing but no fancy decorations and everyone loved it. Said it moist and delicious. I had it wrapped in a couple of layers of saran wrap followed by heavy duty foil.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:20am
post #5 of 16

True, it only makes them more moist and easier to handle and frost. Watch out though if you frost in colored buttercream. The color will fade from the moisture, so let it thaw some first.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:47am
post #6 of 16

Wow, didn't know that was possible.

prterrell...how was it wrapped? Saran?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 16

so interesting! please tell us how you wrapped it? and your freezer doesn't need to be defrosted?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 16

Yes, being a newbie to the decorating world I have some experience in this area. I knew about the freezing the cake being ok, however, I made the mistake once (and will only make the mistake once) of freezing a 2 whole cakes with buttercream icing. Green for grass to be specific. When one was taken out of the freezer it sweat green "blood" all over the cake. The second I took out of the freezer and defrosted slowly in the refrigerator. It still sweat green "blood" but not as bad as the first. Thank god it was for my family and the understood how it happened.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 16

I always bake and freeze. I took one whole Saturday in the beginning of June and baked a "bunch" of cakes. Wrapped them in commercial plastic wrap while still warm and then in heavy duty foil. I have not been able to do a cake until last week and I took out a chocolate one, unthawed slowly with it still wrapped and used it the next day (3 1/2 months in freezer).

It was absolutely fine! Moist, fresh and tasted great. The people that ate the cake thought it was terrific and soooo moist!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

so interesting! please tell us how you wrapped it? and your freezer doesn't need to be defrosted?

Actually, it was just in a Ziploc brand freezer bag.

Our deep-freezer is frost-free.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:37am
post #11 of 16

i had a bride freeze her cake for a year (the anniversary bit) and get back to me...based on the instructions i gave her (to wrap very well and defrost slowly while still wrapped) she said it tasted just as great as the day they were married! the key is to not let the air get to the cake and to not let the moisture evaporate when it's defrosting by unwrapping it too early. (plus any condensation will form on the wrapping and not the icing/cake thus preventing the "green blood" as so eloquently described above!)

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:38am
post #12 of 16

I recently make a cake for a friend's son's 1st b-day. Unfortunatley I was going to be out of town the week of the party.
So I made two sample cakes and froze them for 10 ten days. One was covered in buttercream to which I added a purple fondant flower on top to see if it would bleed when defrosting...it didn't.
The second one was frosted with spackle and then covered in fondant, on which I also put a colored flower to see itf it would bleed...it didn't.
I took them to my friend's work and let everyone try them. They said that they were delicious and more moist than usual.
I had put both cakes in the freezer completely uncovered!
When I did the b-day cake, I had it in my freezer for 1 day and she had it in her's for 6 day..completely uncovered and it got rave reviews!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 16

I am a big fan of freezing cakes - for most of my designs they need to be frozen to carve and they are super moist when finally cut to eat thumbs_up.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #14 of 16

I now plan ahead to make sure my cakes get to spend at least 24 hours in the freezer.

I started out freezing them to make sure I had no last minute dramas.

Now I actually prefer the texture of a cake that has been frozen.

But it is amazing that the cake was still nice after a whole year.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #15 of 16

I have always frozen cakes and a testimony to how good they are is by way of a lady I know who claimed she hated frozen cakes and always knew when one had been frozen. I served her one of mine that had been in the freezer for 4 months and she never batted an eyelash, raved over the moistness, texture and flavor. After her second piece, I told her she had been eating a cake that had been in my freezer for months on end. Her face --as they say, "Priceless."

I wrap mine in two layers of plastic wrap and place them in the freezer. Mine, too, is a frost-free and it is only used for cake so it never picks up any other odors.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 16

Yes, I have always frozen my cakes first but never with icing on them. Usually I don't torte them first either if they are under 14 inches. I let them cool completely then wrap in a single layer of Press and Seal or a double layer of cling wrap. Normally, for me, I am pulling them out the very next day, carving and/or filling and crumbcoating. If I am using fondant I let the cake thaw and the buttercream crust up for at least two hours but if I am using buttercream then I go ahead and finish up the cake. Everyone has always sworn that my cakes are moist and delicious. I've never had occassion to freeze them long than that but someday I may end up doing that! LOL!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%