Pouring Chocolate Into Mold Help

Sugar Work By sweetjoc Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 12:45am by bekahzzz

sweetjoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjoc Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:07am
post #1 of 6

Hi... i'm trying to mold these musical instruments out of chocolate.

It is my first time pouring chocolate into a mold and i'm just not getting the results i want.
what i have been doing is melting the chocolate in the microwave... putting it into a piping bag and piping the chocolate into each mold cavity. i then refrigerate for a few minutes before popping them out. the final results tend to be missing parts of the detail... but not constantly the same details... there is also some discoloration and texture differences on the surfaces that i just don't like.
I'm not sure if its the way i'm pouring the chocolate or if i'm just getting to caught up in the little details... but if there is a way to get better results i'd love to know haha... i'm attaching a photo of what i'm looking at.. hopefully someone can recognise and help icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

5 replies
mommydearest1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommydearest1965 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:20am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like you might not be letting them sit in the frig long enough to set up. They should pop right out when cold enough

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:25am
post #3 of 6

Make sure that after you pipe the chocolate into the molds that you tap the mold on the counter top a few times to get rid of air bubbles and sink the chocolate into the smaller areas. Also make sure that the mold appears to look frosty before trying to remove the chocolates. If there are any spots on the mold that don't look foggy/frosty they are not ready to remove yet.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:40am
post #4 of 6

Are you using real chocolate (chips or broken up chunk/bar chocolate) or candy melts/confectionery coating? If you are using real chocolate, it can be really temperamental, if you don't temper it. It is very sensitive to temperature, and if you overheat it, it will solidify with some real odd coloration and texture on the surface. If it is only overheated a little, it will still taste fine, but be kind of odd looking.

sweetjoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjoc Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all your help... my second batch came out looking perfect icon_smile.gif

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

Also if you have trouble getting the detail you can brush the inside of the molds with the chocolate first and then pipe the chocolate in. It saves all the detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%