Need Help With Mmf.... Arg!

Decorating By Jenpiddles Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 3:37am by HarleyDee

Jenpiddles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenpiddles Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 3

I need some advice on covering a cake with MMF. The fondant comes out tasting great, but when I roll it out to put it on the cake, it is always pitted. I have tried working the MMF a little more, lightly heating it in the microwave before kneading it, leaving it to rest for just a few hours as well as overnight, and adding Crisco to try and soften it up, but nothing seems to work. It will get soft, but it is never completely smooth! I'm at a loss about what I am doing wrong.

Please help! lol Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #2 of 3

Once you have it rolled out, before you pick it up from the mat, rub your hands over it until it's nice and smooth...I always think of it as "polishing" it. The other thing that helps is to make sure when you put it on the cake, it's not way bigger than you need and dragging down the part that's on the cake, because that can cause pitted areas to appear. I usually cut off the obvious excess as soon as the fondant is on the cake, then smooth and trim more after that.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 3

Rubbing your hands over it is a good suggestion. You can also take a ball (smaller than a tennis ball size) of fondant the same color that has been dusted, and gently rub it over the whole surface of your rolled out fondant. Helps to smooth it a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%