Candy Clay A Bloody Mess

Decorating By Mickey17 Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm by cakenutz

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I am trying to make candy clay for the first time. I melted 3 pounds of white chocolate, added the 1 cup of corn syrup and everything seems to be going fine.....until I get the bright idea that NOW would be the tmie to add the coloring. To make it Red. So a lot of color. Now it is this horrible bloody looking wet mess. No amount of kneading it getting it to reabsorb the liquid and it just looks like hell.

Will this fix itself if I let it sit and set up for a while? Am I doomed? Should I just throw it away?

9 replies
cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 10

the ratio I use is one to one 1cup chocalate to 1 cup corn syrup
I usually mix the color in the corn s before kneading it together HTH

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 10

hi cakenutz,
did you mean to type 1 cup chocolate to 1 cup corn syrup? that seems like an awful lot of corn syrup. i ask very respectfully icon_smile.gif.

hi mickey,
did you add your color while the chocolate was still melted or after it had hardened? it sounds like you added color to melted choc and corn syrup and then kneaded. you need to pour the soft gooey mess (technical term, lol) onto saran wrap, wrapping really well, then stick the whole thing in the fridge. you do not knead until after the clay has aged and hardened for about 24 hours in a cool place. if this is what happened, then your clay is still probably good, it just needs to sit and get firm before your knead it.

diane

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 10

Your supposed to let it sit for a few hours on a piece of waxed paper, it looks like a mess at first. Then after it looks like it has dryed you knead it and then wrap it in saran wrap overnight before using.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 10

As long as you used oil-based color (not gel) then I think it'll be fine once you've let it rest as the other posters mentioned.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

Your supposed to let it sit for a few hours on a piece of waxed paper, it looks like a mess at first. Then after it looks like it has dryed you knead it and then wrap it in saran wrap overnight before using.

I agree with this poster. Also I use 1/3 cup corn syrup to 1 lb. chocolate. Leave it overnight and try again in the morning.

Beth in KY

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #7 of 10

The actual recipe is 10 ounces chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup.

I always use 1 pound of chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup. Let it sit for a couple hours and knead it together, wrap and let it sit overnight to use the next day.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 10

I always knead and work my candy clay and let all that goey greasy type liquid drip out onto a piece of aluminum foil. It's just some of the cocoa type butter in it. It is the part that makes the little tiny bumps in the candy clay. I knead all that out and my clay works wonderfully for me. This is a trick that Jackie Ornes from KC taught me many years ago.

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #9 of 10

I used powdered food coloring and added it right when I had just started to stir in the corn syrup.

After letting it sit for a couple of hours, it looks like it has reabsorbed most of the liquid and looks like it might be ok. But for a while there it looked like a massacre went down in my kitchen.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 10

I'm sorry was thinking something else DUH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%