Went To Commercial Mix, Want My Pilsbury Back!

Business By ButtercupMama Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm by vrmcc1

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #31 of 43

you know pilsbury sells cake mix (white and choc for sure) in 50 lb bags?!?!?!

there are 2 kinds of each i think, one with pudding, one without.....

don't know if its cheaper, but at least you don't gotta through away a million boxes! which I hope you all are recycling!!!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #32 of 43

Do y'all have any bakery supplies near you? Someone is supplying your restaurants! There has to be one.

It took me a while to find mine, but they'll sell me all kinds of things - huge boxes of piping bags, boxes, cake mix, donut mix, frozen cupcakes, tips, colors...they've never even asked if I had a business.

Funny though, mine's named as a poultry ranch. I've been on site - not a single chicken just a warehouse & trucks. I phone in my order & the time, drive there, pay at the office and the boys load up my car.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #33 of 43

GOOD NEWS!

I found a phone # at the bottom of the Pillsbury site. (I had to write a letter to them 2 years ago, so I was thrilled to see I could speak to someone)

After several transfers, I spoke to someone who works for General Mills, and supplies bulk mixes to these giant local food suppliers (like Dawn, Bakemark, etc.) She said that the company I use for weekly deliveries actually DOES have access to her Pillsbury cake mixes, but they do not choose to purchase them yet.

She'll be in my state in just two weeks for a tradeshow, and will bring me a few 50lb bags at that time; she will also help the process along, as far as getting my food supplier to get the product to me.

WOO!

Okay, now she DID say it is not exactly the same as the mix in the grocery store (so weird!) but that she will give me the formula/recipe to use with the bulk mix to MIMIC the box mixes.

So I'm crossing my fingers that it all works out.
And to answer someone's question, I have never made a scratch cake that compares to the taste of the pillsbury. That's it. Otherwise, I'd probably be baking scratch, I suppose. I'm really no chef, but more artist, so it's just not my forte. But I do want it to taste great, and be quick and cost effective.

To all of you who are wondering, here is the phone # for "General Mills Bakeries and Food Service" which is a great place to start with your inquiries... they will probably give you a # to someone in your area, or something to help you find what you need:
1-800-767-5404

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:42pm
post #34 of 43

I keep hoping for the same for Duncan Hines mixes. The prices are WAY too much on those sites you offered earlier. I can get at either my local HEB for $1 or at wally world sometimes at .88 (depending on which one I go to) or $1.06. Crazy I know, but you are right about buying them out, sometimes I am driving to 2 or 3 locations just to find the right flavor! Fr. Van and Dk. choc are the ones I use the most, with spice coming in as a close 3rd. These are my base flavors from which I create most of my other flavors from.

HEB is good about letting you order by the case. If you live in TX try them, their prices are pretty comparible to WM

jahnelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jahnelle Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #35 of 43

There is no light at the end of your tunnel!! I own a cakery and I am told time and time again how my cakes are the best they have ever tasted and I want to laugh and say it is from a box! Anyhow when I opened my business and tried bulk mix and not only was the taste not the same but the cost is more. You pay approx 60 a bag and its for 40lbs. You buy a box thats a little over a lb and you pay a dollar. If you have a business i would say buy out of town. If it is just for a home cake business keep doing what you are doing.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:05am
post #36 of 43

I'm currently a scratch baker, but wanted to try the mixes from King Arthur Flour. Has anyone tried them? What did you think?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #37 of 43

You guys are cracking me up! I love the lasagne line - Debi, you're a hoot! icon_lol.gif

Since my hubby is retired, he does the grocery shopping - after I make out the list. icon_biggrin.gif I keep quite a few mixes on hand but when I have a big cake coming up, like the 5 tier next week, he'll go stock up. One time, I had quite a lot coming up and hubby wiped out 3 stores getting enough cake mixes for me - Wal-Mart and 2 Krogers. Bless his heart, he didn't complain 1 little bit. But, since the biz has started, we'll look at buying by the case. This thread is awesome! thumbs_up.gif

Michelle, I haven't seen the King Arthur mixes, where have you seen them? King Arthur is just about the only flour I use, I really like it. My sis-in-law used to own a bakery in Missouri and she turned me on to King Arther. Once I tried it, I never went back to anything else.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:31pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMama

Oh and on THAT note, I think I may just start commenting on what's in other people's carts:

Two jugs of cheap wine and a horoscope mini mag......
"Long day, huh?"

Soda, sugar cereal and wonder bread.......
"You weren't planning on feeding this junk to your kids, are you?"

Powerade, milk, and 20 tv dinners..........
"So, newly divorced?"

Beer and condoms........
Loud singsongy voice: "I know what SOMEbody's doin tonight!"

Cheetos, Snickers bars, and maxi pads.........

Okay, I won't even go there! But really, mind your own business people! Once I had a lady two customers behind me yelling out to her friend, "Hey Jane! Come over here, you've GOT to see how much cake mix this lady is buying!!" Then she came over and said, I just HAVE to know what all that cake mix is for!!
I told her, " I'm baking cakes."

Honest to God. What the f do you think I'm doing, mixing it into a paste, and building a mud hut?

Sorry, long day. Bring out the jugs of Gallo.

OMG ButtercupMama...I can just imagine your comment to me if you were behind me at Save Mart last night...cart had:

4 boxes juice popsicles
2 large bags popsicles
4 cans chicken noodle soup
6 litres sugar free gingerale
1 bottle kaopectate
1 bottle anti-nausea medication

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

And no, we are not feeling too good in our family...the bug caught all six of us HARD...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #39 of 43

I agree that the website are great but the prices are too expensive.Like most of us we look for the sales on box mixes.I wait until they are 3/$3.99 or sometimes 10/$10.00 (Not very often) and then I clean the shelf out and go get a raincheck for the empty flavor like chocolate...get a raincheck for 5 cases at 3/$3.99 so that when I become low....I can still get the mixes at sale prices.I very rarely have paid $2.89 for a Betty Crocker mix regular price here...I wait for the sales!!My best deal was when they were selling them at my local grocery store 10/$10.00....I went in and bought 20 cases and the manager didn't care...he told me to buy more!! So I did...Yahoo!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #40 of 43

I've only seen the KA mixes on their website. They aren't any added ingredients, so it's basically from scratch, but I was just curious.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #41 of 43

Sorry to hijack the thread but you guys need to ask you supplier about buying Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping) in bulk. Way cheaper and easier than the little packets. I think my local foods supplier told me 56 for a case of 1 pound bags so like 4.50/lb....We have tons of "amish stores" that sell bulk ingredients and I buy mine from them for 2.19/lb, the next time i go there i will ask who their supplier is and let you guys know if we can get it from them

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmcc1

Sorry to hijack the thread but you guys need to ask you supplier about buying Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping) in bulk. Way cheaper and easier than the little packets. I think my local foods supplier told me 56 for a case of 1 pound bags so like 4.50/lb....We have tons of "amish stores" that sell bulk ingredients and I buy mine from them for 2.19/lb, the next time i go there i will ask who their supplier is and let you guys know if we can get it from them

Let me know who your supplier is. When I asked Sysco about it, they tried to sell me Cool Whip!! icon_eek.gif

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #43 of 43

u.s. foodservices is who i use when i find out about where the amish store orders from i will let you know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%