My First Gumpaste Figure. A Little Advice Please!

Decorating By delilahmarie Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm by Price

delilahmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delilahmarie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a little man for a cake this weekend and I am very new to this. His arms are falling off and so are his shoes. How can I hold him together? Royal icing? Buttercream? Super glue? LOL He has a spaghetti skeleton, but it's breaking in some places. Any advice would be VERY helpful! Thanks!

2 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 3

you make sugar supports, by rolling ur gumpaste into small thin 'sticks' and allowing these to dry and then using them as support. spagetti i find is very flimsy, most people use cocktail sticks as gumpaste decorations are not normally eaten. I usualy use 'sugar glue' as my glue, its a mix of tylose /cmc powder and water, you can find recipes for them on this site, usually water works too. The gumpaste figurine is a difficult one to get right, as the parts can be heavy in there own right and without support, Will fall off. so it can be a good idea to use inside supprt, as well as outside untill the gumpaste has dried firmly together, Most people i beleive use sponge, so not to distort the shape of the figure.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 3

Hi, welcome to the addiction of fondant modeling!

I normally make edible glue by adding about 1/4 tsp of Tylose powder to about 2 Tbsp. of warm water. When you first mix the Tylose into the water it will look like a mess, but If you leave it sit for alittle while, it will become a nice clear glue. Be careful not to use too much glue or the pieces will slide apart before they dry.

I normally use spagetti as support to attach the head to the body, but also use a little of the edible glue to hold the head in place.

Are you making a figure that is sitting or standing, and how large is your figure going to be?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%