Royal Icing's Taste

Baking By anjaligg Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm by bbmom

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 7

I have never decorated cookies with royal icing. I thought that royal icing was meant for decoration only. I found here that people do decorate the cookies with royal icing. How does it taste on the cookies? Comments appreciated!

6 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 7

If you flavor the royal with extracts or oils, it tastes really good. Some don't like the fact that it dries real hard and some prefer it. You have to just try it out and see how you like it.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

Anjaligg, when I first started cookie-ing, I used a RI receipe that I found on the web, and hated the taste, so moved to TG only. BUT, then was convinced to try Antonia's RI, and it's wonderful. I do still flood with TG if I have a lot to do, but detail in Antonia's RI. Give it a shot, it's wonderful to work with, and tastes good. Another alternative is RBC, I LOVE that stuff!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 7

Unless you add a flavoring, RI doesn't really have a taste other than sweet.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:46am
post #5 of 7

I use Antonia74's RI with very good results. Her MP has vanilla in it, but ours in the U.S. does not, so I add all-natural flavoring and gets lots of positive reviews.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

TracyLH is actually the one who convinced me to try Antonia's and I'm so glad I did icon_biggrin.gif . It really is tops in flavor and workability! you can add any flavor to it, I sometimes use almond, or whatever works with my theme.
Side Note....CC technology has passed me up during my hiatus from cookie-ing, how cool is the feature telling you what the abbreviations are!?! thumbs_up.gif And the info-at-a-glance of My Photos? And all the other cool features. All that down time during maintenance was well worth it. Kudos to CC!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 7

Another fan of Antonia's royal here. I use 1tsp real vanilla extract, 1/2tsp real almond extract and sometimes will add 1/2tsp butter flavor. I dont always add it because its artificial and I try to use as little fake stuff as possible. I think you can taste the difference. My kids love the icing and are always asking if they can lick the bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%