Gluten Free Wasc...is There Such A Thing?

Baking By sweeteecakes Updated 15 Jan 2016 , 1:11pm by GI

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 11

My best friends daughter will be celebrating her birthday this weekend. I am doing a sweet table but for the cake/cupcakes, I will have to do gluten free. Has anyone ever tried it with this recipe or do you have a tried and true gluten free cake recipe?

TIA!

Tammie

10 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 11

giving you a bump

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 11

A true WASC uses regular cake mix, so the answer would be no, there is no recipe for this in gluten-free.

There has never been a WASC thread that I know of, in any forum I belong to (I belong to several) that discusses a gluten-free cake mix for WASC.

If you try it, please let us know whether it works for you. I'm sure there are at least a few people here who would be interested in learning what brand of mix you used, and if you followed the WASC recipe as it is written, or if you modified it to accommodate the base mix.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 11

I have never tried it, but there are a few gluten free cake mixes that are tasty, but I find them much more dense than regular cake mixes. Also, you would have to buy the gluten free flour to use in place of ap. I would be interested in finding out the results since my sil is gluten-free. Oh, and i saw a book at the book store called "Babycakes" that was all gluten-free, sugar -free (well mostly). Maybe you can try that. I want to get that book to try baking for my sil, but haven't gotten around to it yet!

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 11

You can't just swap out gluten-free flour for regular flour, because you still need the stretch that gluten gives, and most gluten-free flours do not have that in them (it keeps the product intact while allowing the rise, instead of cracking or sinking). You would have to shop around to see what GF flours are available where you live, then search for a cake formula that uses the any of those types of GF flour. Then you would have to purchase and use the gluten substitute the formula dictates.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 11

Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker...one of the major brands has a gluten-free cake mix out. It's around $5.00 and they have white, yellow, and chocolate for sure that I know of. My mom was just diagnosed with celiacs disease and these have been a lifesaver for her sweet tooth. She claims they taste exactlly the same as regular cake and she just used cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and a little milk to make a fudgy chocolate icing for the top. They also have brownie mixes. You have to be careful if you're making the cake from scratch because even the types of powdered sugar can vary....domino's powdered sugar is just corn starch and sugar, but some of the store brands have a lot of additives that my mom can't have with celiacs disease.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gluten-Free-Yellow-Cake/Detail.aspx

there are tons of recipes online if you look

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 11

Bob's Red mill produces a lot of gluten-free ingredients as well as mixes. Pamela's gluten free mixes are pretty good--I've tried several. Be careful if you make a scratch gluten-free cake or doctor a mix--there are a lot of things you might not think about that may contain gluten (vanilla extract for instance--make sure the label says gluten-free) icon_smile.gif

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 11

OMG! I am so sorry for not responding! I did not know that I had responses as I never received an email notifying me of responses to this post.

Thank you all for the helpful information. I did not make the glute-free(gf) cake for the party however I do plan to make a gf cake or cookies as I am finding that a lot of people I know have allergies to certain ingredients.

Thanks again and I will let you know the outcome!

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteecakes

OMG! I am so sorry for not responding! I did not know that I had responses as I never received an email notifying me of responses to this post.

When I start a new thread, I have to go back into it and hit the watch topic button. You might have to start doing that, too. It's been like that for me since I joined.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

caroluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caroluna Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 9:33am
post #10 of 11

I'm curious if anyone found a gluten free WASC recipe. Has anyone tried using the gluten free box cake mixes from Betty crocker?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 11

Made a GF WASC yesterday using Pillsbury Funfettie GF mix.  Turned out beautiful. Two  8" round.  I used 1c. 1/2 water-1/2 whole milk, 1 c full fat sour cream, 2 tsp almond emulsion, 3 whole eggs, 1 tsp Xanthum gum, 3T oil, 1 cup by measure GF Kings Flour, 1 C sugar.  Let the batter set for a bit (prep pan) and decided to add a tad bit more of water as the batter looked thick. 

Baking wraps, inverted nail, paper-lined 8" pans. Baked at 340deg for about 45min or so.

Plain cake tasted good. Tried it w/White SMBC it was good.  Tried it w/Choc Ganache SMBC and it was DEVINE!  

I do think the bold flavor of the icing on a GF cake is the best way to serve.

(eta:  this cake is moist, baked up high 2" layers, and sturdy to handle & stack & torte.  I  bet it could be carved, too but I haven't tested that theory yet.)

*Last edited by GI on 15 Jan 2016 , 1:11pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%