Covering A Cakeboard

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 3:58am by threeforhim

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 11

Can anyone suggest something other than tin foil to use when covering a cake board? If I don't cover it, it gets very messy and I can't transfer the cake once decorated, for obvious reasons...

Please excuse my ignorance, but am I supposed to be removing what is on there anyway, once the cake is complete? And how, exactly ? I am making a special gift cake and want the presentation to be as good as the cake!

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks! icon_sad.gif

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 11

Some people have used fancy wrapping papaer and then covering it in clear contact paper.I use colored foils...Others use fondant.....

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 11

Our local cake store sells colored fancy foils to cover cake boards, they are a little more sturdy than just plain foil, and are easy to wipe off and don't rip. I started covering mine in fondant and wrapping a ribbon around the edge, makes SUCH a difference, I think! Looks really cool! Good luck!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 11

Aside from the wide variety of colored and textured foils out there, I have used rolled fondant and sometimes royal icing. icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

colleenant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenant Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 11

If you want different looks; I've wrapped plywood or cakeboards with wrapping paper and then wrapped over that with a clear food safe wrap, such as a cling wrap, wax paper or press 'n seal.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 11

I cover all my boards in fondant in various colours and textures to suit the design of the cake!

Good luck,

cowgirllvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirllvn Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 11

if i read your question correctly you are wanting to remove the "messy" paper from the cakeboard once the cake is finished being decorated...I place aluminum foil just under the edges of the cake on all sides that way i can easily pull it from under the edges of the cake and throw it (along with the messy icing) away, leaving me with a clean cakeboard and a beautiful decorated cake.......hope that makes sense and helps you out....

cakesrock Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #9 of 11

Yes, it does make sense! Thanks...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #10 of 11

I, too, prefer fondant.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:58am
post #11 of 11

I use various colored tissue paper, even layer more than 1 color for accent. Sometimes I use wrapping paper or even a cut up gift back from the $1 store. Also the funny papers/newspaper. I then cover these with clear cellophane/plastic wrap. I've even just used white and put some colored confetti type glitter or a shaped metallic confetti then put the clear stuff over it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%