Canadian/ Alberta Advise

Business By motherofgrace Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 8:17am by margaretb

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 4

hi there

im in the works of starting my own confections business ( not just cakes, candies and such too)

Can any canadians/ albertans give me advise on how to get started?

Im hoping to get into the farmers market in april icon_smile.gif

3 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone?? please?

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 4

Why don't you PM me with specifics of what you want to know. I may have some advice for you, although I'm based in Calgary.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:17am
post #4 of 4

Look here for general information on food processing requirements:$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex10001#Home

Basically, you need to pass a public health inspection since you will be producing food, and you will need a business license from your city to run your business. In some cases, a person can get the business license, but can't pass the public health inspection (e.g. if you want to work from home, you have to have a seperate kitchen from your domestic kitchen) or they could pass the public health inspection, but they can't get a business license.

This is the part from the link about about home kitchens and farmers markets:

If you prepare your product in your home kitchen, you are limited as to where you can sell the product. Alberta Approved Farmersâ Markets are your only option.

Farmersâ markets have restrictions on types of foods that can be sold, and regulations for the safe handling of the food. For example, no one can offer for sale home canned foods other than jam, jelly, pickles and relish. Pickles and relishes are products prepared from vegetables and fruits with salt, sugar and/or vinegar. Pickles include cucumbers, green pepper, beets, carrots, mushrooms, kimchi, sauerkraut, green tomatoes and onions. Relishes are a combination of these products. Other products need prior approval from the regional health authority.

Foods that may be sold include fresh vegetables and fruit and potentially non-hazardous home prepared food, such as: breads, buns, muffins, fruit leather and dry soup starters. Potentially hazardous foods can only be sold at farmersâ markets if they have been prepared and packaged by or in a facility that has a food establishment permit.

Farmersâ market requirements are a part of the Food Regulation (AR 31/2006) of the Public Health Act. Check with the regional health authority for complete details.


Quote by @%username% on %date%