Yet Another Mff Failure For Me, Help...

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm by SandiOh

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 11

Today, I was to make an ocean cake for my birthday....I had made 3 batches of MFF last week. I had rolled out small bits of it earlier to make fish, and noted it was a bit dry, but seemed to roll out well....Today, when I was to cover my 10 inch cake, I could not roll it out...it was dry, and cracked everywhere....I tried 4 different times, the last time, I ended up covering the cake, not able to repair the cracks...ripped off the fondant and half my cake in the process.

I do not know what I did wrong when making this, I had a previous failed attempt at it and corrected the error...I let the gelatin mixture cool, I didn't add too much PS, I measured correctly....THE ONLY thing different was that this particular corn syrup I bought was not as thick as it usually is.......Is that it? please tell me that's it, because I really like the taste of this fondant and don't want to go back to MMF...

sorry this is so long, but I am really upset about this day and my cake.

10 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 11

I have read where you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds and heat it back up a bit to soften it... or couldn't you knead it with some crisco if it was too dry or hard??

I must say that I absolutely positively can not make MMF !!! It was so messy and so unpredicable for me that I gave up. I went to MIchele Foster's recipe of which I totally love, no sticky mess and so far it has been dependable for me.....

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 11

I am not sure here, but I made my mff only a few days before i start decorating, but I have noticed if I have any left over after a week, it is hard and not usable. Do you always make it a week in advance?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 11

Heat it in the microwave for a few seconds and if needed kneed in a little crisco or glycerine. Fondant does not go bad in a week, but if not wrapped very well, it will dry out.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 11

You said you let the gelatin cool? The MMF I use does not have gelatin or corn syrup in it. That sounds more like Toba Garret's fondant ( I think)...I made that once and had no luck with it. Everybody's different, but I love MMF. I also heat mine up before using it.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 11

I do keep the fondant wrapped up in saran wrap brushed with vegetable oil as she suggests and I haven't had a problem.

Her fondant is my favorite also!

Good luck!

sleepy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy33 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

You said you let the gelatin cool? The MMF I use does not have gelatin or corn syrup in it. That sounds more like Toba Garret's fondant ( I think)...I made that once and had no luck with it. Everybody's different, but I love MMF. I also heat mine up before using it.

She's talking about mFF not mMF. Michele Foster's Fondant, I believe, is MFF. Not MarshMallow.

lardbutt Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

She's talking about mFF not mMF. Michele Foster's Fondant, I believe, is MFF. Not MarshMallow.

Thanks for clarifying....I was wondering.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

Today, I was to make an ocean cake for my birthday....I had made 3 batches of MFF last week. I had rolled out small bits of it earlier to make fish, and noted it was a bit dry, but seemed to roll out well....Today, when I was to cover my 10 inch cake, I could not roll it out...it was dry, and cracked everywhere....I tried 4 different times, the last time, I ended up covering the cake, not able to repair the cracks...ripped off the fondant and half my cake in the process.

I do not know what I did wrong when making this, I had a previous failed attempt at it and corrected the error...I let the gelatin mixture cool, I didn't add too much PS, I measured correctly....THE ONLY thing different was that this particular corn syrup I bought was not as thick as it usually is.......Is that it? please tell me that's it, because I really like the taste of this fondant and don't want to go back to MMF...

sorry this is so long, but I am really upset about this day and my cake.

Could it be that you let it cool too much? The mixture (cream & gelatin + corn syrup + butter & flavorings) needs to be lukewarm, not cool. If it's too cool it will take too much powdered sugar and will become too dry after resting.

The correct temp for me is when the liquid feels like hot bath water - as though i would have to ease myself slowly into a tub full of water that hot. Add ps only until it's smooth. At this point it will still feel soft but not sticky. If I pull off a bit of fondant, it comes off clean without stretching. If I form the mass into a ball and drop it onto the counter, it will spread and flatten out slightly. This is the correct consistency of freshly made MF fondant. any stiffer and will cure rock hard and will dry out while rolling.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 11

thank you, kitchen Kat, I will follow your cues for my next batch. I looked over my last posting over my failed MFF, and Michelle had stated that with the corn syrup being thin, I might need to add 1 to 2 tsp more gelatin....has anybody else run into this problem with corn syrup and the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%