This Is Why You Should Be Very Specific...

Decorating By Clovers Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 5:45am by 7yyrt

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 86

This wasn't so much a distaster.. at least nothing I did.

Apparently emailing the client (aka my sister) and explaining how the cake was going to be set up, what was in it, and how to cut it, as well as emailing a cake cutting guide for her wasn't enough.

I found this picture posted after the wedding - why they would post that is beyond me, but I am horrified that they didn't cut it like, what I would assume, is how any normal person would!

(hopefully that works)[/img]
LL

85 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 86

omg, what the hell did they do to that cake! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 86

I'll bet someone showed up to "help" that thought she knew what she was doing. Yikes, looks like they tried to cut it with a chainsaw.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 86

Holy shiteski. That is butchered!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 86

Oh my word!!!!!! They must have been drunk or something... what a mess.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 86

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif -no words... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 86

Wow! What a sight!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 86

it looks like my husband has cut that cake icon_lol.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 86

..... WHY???

makes you wonder what the slices of cake looked like on the plate icon_confused.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 86

possibly a beaver cut the cake???? icon_lol.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 86

Oh that poor cake.

They didn't cut it, they hacked at it.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 86

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 86

Oh good grief, apparently it was self serve. Why on earth would you take a picture of the cake once it was all hacked to bits? I kind of want to laugh, but then I just shake my head.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 86

I found myself staring at the picture with my head tilted like a little puppy....just trying to figure out who thought that was a good idea or anywhere near a "normal" way to cut a cake!?!?!?!? icon_confused.gif Very interesting!

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 86

Okay I thought I was the only one. The servers/caterers/whoever cut the cake at my friend's wedding cut around the dowels, looking somewhat similar. They too didn't take the cake apart. Maybe it is just one of those years. I am sorry they posted pics like that, never can understand that one.

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 86

Ok so I am sorry this pic of your cake was posted...but thanks for the laugh...it looks like someone somewhere didnt have the sense to seperate the tiers...lol icon_eek.gif

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #17 of 86

Looks like they cut it the Wilton way.

Clovers Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 86

I even tried my hardest to make sure that the tiers were going to be easy to separate without taking all the fondant with them.

Well at least I know that my doweling held up well, since there isn't much holding that top tier on apparently!

Oh well, at least it was enjoyed. My sister said people lined up for seconds and were hoarding pieces at their tables.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef

Looks like they cut it the Wilton way.

Oh? icon_confused.gif I didn't realize they had a new cutting chart out. icon_lol.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #20 of 86

I'm thinking they used a plastic fork to cut the cake with!! Seriously! There is no way that was even cut with a plastic knife! And I too think whoever was cutting the cake had already had way too much to drink - I've personally seen what a drunk cake server can do to a wedding cake, and to the table it's on, and to the floor beneath it . . . .

I was at a wedding (out of state) on the 5th and watched the cake server cut and serve a 4-tier fondant covered cake using a plastic knife - and she made the neatest and most even cuts - I was totally amazed and complimented her on her skill with a plastic knife!!LOL!!

I'm sorry they posted this picture - hopefully they posted one of the 'before'!

Suze

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #21 of 86

That looks similar to the job they did on a cake I took to work. It was a ball cake on square cakes. I went into our break room later in the day (just to let you know they had all asked me how it was supported) and found they had kept cutting the square cake around the ball and the poor little ball looked like it was going to roll off! They were all afraid to touch the ball cake!

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #22 of 86

Or they used a bread knife. BIG no no with fondant.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #23 of 86

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

I just meant cutting the edges off, not the sloppiness of the slicing.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #24 of 86

I had a wedding cake tasting this weekend, and I'm wondering if their cake won't end up looking like that...
Bride: So we're going to have [groom's sister] cut the cake, right?
Groom: Yeeeeaaaaahhhh... She did say she wanted to help... (to me) Um, is there some kind of cake cutter grid that you can just push down over the cake to cut even pieces?

icon_lol.gif

Though that would be a good invention for situations like this! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

I just meant cutting the edges off, not the sloppiness of the slicing.

I know, I thought it is was hilarious though....like, here is Wilton's Chart for The Alcohol Impaired or something, that would be great! icon_twisted.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #26 of 86

It even looks like someone made a cut in the top tier, then decided not to cut out a piece of cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #27 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers

Apparently emailing the client (aka my sister) and explaining how the cake was going to be set up, what was in it, and how to cut it, as well as emailing a cake cutting guide for her wasn't enough.

You mean your SISTER did this? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Clovers Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #28 of 86

...I don't know. The cake was for her brother in law's wedding. I emailed her the directions but no one has fessed up who did the actual cutting. I don't know why they took the flowers off the top tier if they weren't going to cut into it.. since it looked like someone started to and was likely stopped by someone else.

They did put up many pictures of the cake before (in my photos.. I think). and then THREE of the 'afters'.

I made it SO easy for them. I even made sure that the ribbon that had gone around it had a little section to make it easy for the bride and groom to cut the cake. But then... all hell broke loose.

solcito_the_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solcito_the_cake_maker Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #29 of 86

This is priceless!! Perhaps they thought the cake was too precious to be destroyed and tried to "preserve it" by cutting all around?

I once made a cake for a little friend: Elmo's head. Her mother successfully managed to get decent slices of cake for each of us, but for some strange reason, she avoided the eyes...

The final result was these two eyeballs, sitting on the cake base, surrounded by crumbs and a girl screaming and crying because her favorite character had been brutally murdered! ... I have pictures (of the victim!) Is there a photo gallery here where we can showcase this non-sense???? icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing, dkelly!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #30 of 86

This is HILARIOUS!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif. Sorry but I took one look at that picture and burst out laughing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%