Cocoa Powder Question

Decorating By Rylan Updated 9 Oct 2013 , 8:43pm by cocoasupply

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 16

I wanted to make truffles and coat them in cocoa powder but I have no idea where I can get cocoa powder that isn't bitter. Do you know any brands? Do you know what type of cocoa they use to coat their truffles? Mines always end up bitter.

15 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 16

I don't have an answer to your Question but I am keeping your post alive, also I use hot chocolate, but I use them for home use

Rylan Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Allison. Does hot chocolate give the same effect? Does it have that wet look or does it look dry for the rest of the day?

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 16

Some of the better quality cocoa powders won't be as bitter, but they will still be bitter. But since you are putting them on sweet truffles, it balances, but that's just my opinion. I like the contrasting taste, but I try to get the best quality cocoa powder I can.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 16

I can't answer that, because I only make small amounts for family events and they get eaten right away (Sorry)

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 16

They actually use the regular 'ol bitter cocoa powder. You don't really get a taste of bitterness biting into the truffle.

Rylan Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 16

I used Hershey's cocoa powder and it was super bitter with my chocolate ganache. I guess I will have to stick with it.

Also, how can I get different shades of cocoa powder? Is it just the variety?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:38am
post #8 of 16

There are two main types of cocoa. The first is alkalized or dutch process also called dutch cocoa and the other is natural cocoa. Alkalized cocoa is lighter and not as acid, so it may seem less bitter. Hershey's and most American brands are natural (though I think Hershy's now has one that is half and half) Droste and Rademaker are alkalized.

BTW, some recipes specify which kind of cocoa to use. For example, recipes that use natural cocoa often have some baking soda added to neutralize the acidity of the cocoa. If you use alkalized cocoa in those recipes, the baking soda has nothing with which to react and the recipe doesn't work. Just an interesting bit of trivia.....

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:16am
post #9 of 16

Hmmm... I wonder how mixing ps and cocoa would work? It will be lighter but it would add a little sweetness.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:32am
post #10 of 16

I use the Equagold Dutch Cocoa - as seen in this link.
http://www.equagold.co.nz/p_cocoa.php
Absolutely beautiful it is - bitter sweet - so fine it is like talcom powder - and just dissolves on the tongue...as all good cocoas should, without leaving any residue.
To feel it is like touching powdered silk - if there is such a thing icon_wink.gif
Best way i can describe it.

Can't breath too heavy around it, other wise it will blow away - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 16

If you want to get away from the bitterness (although I LOVE the taste of natural cocoa powder on truffles) Ghirardelli makes a cocoa and ground chocolate (sweet) mix that might work well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 16

This thread is making my mouth water ahhhhg...dangerous thread...

Rylan Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone for the replies. I can't wait to start a cake covered in truffles. THANKS!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Thanks everyone for the replies. I can't wait to start a cake covered in truffles. THANKS!

Covered in truffles !!! - can't wait to see this creation Rylan
Sounds delish and exotic icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

If you want to get away from the bitterness (although I LOVE the taste of natural cocoa powder on truffles) Ghirardelli makes a cocoa and ground chocolate (sweet) mix that might work well.

My sister bought that once by accident when I asked her for cocoa powder, so we used it on our Crown Royal truffles that Christmas. It was wonderful.

cocoasupply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoasupply Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 16

There are different types of cocoa depending of origin. Cocoa powder itself is bitter, but the aromatic varieties like the Ecuadorian cocoa have a more floral aroma and nutty taste.

You can get at :

http://www.cocoasupply.com/shop/bergenfield-cocoa-powders-0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%