Amazing Wedding Cakes - Decorating Styles

Lounge By MariaLovesCakes Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 12:23am by Sugar_Kitty

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #91 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I'm almost positive I've seen Reva post here. Not sure how active she is, but I have seen her, so you couls all be talking about "one of our own".

That's cool. It would be nice if she could come here and tells a little bit about her decorating style and how she perceives things.

In my original post I mentioned that I wasn't trying to mean but wanted to point out certain things I saw on their decorating style that I felt uneasy about.

It was not all about the stuff I didn't like but I also praise them on their skills. Everyone has them. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #92 of 118

Part of my nature is to relieve someone's embarassment or stress. I think some people in this thread have clearly gone over the line with their comments about some of my Cake Buddies.

Saying a cake doesn't have clean lines, that there's mistakes is one thing. Calling people sloppy and messy and uncaring, 'don't give a squat' is over the line in a big way.

AND--on ChrisG's lavendar cake, Margie suggests making smaller pots and he won't have anything to do with that. Then later he had to cut them down considerably in order for them to fit. He got onto Margie on camera about the leaves being too dark but a Wilton 1 student could figure out the pots were too big for the ledge.

It's ok to respectfully critique someone's work.

But it will never be ok with me for some of the comments in this thread to stand without me covering for the CakeBuddies being slammed in some cases.

This thread is a pandora's box, if you don't want to go back & forth that's your decision.

I hope Reva & Mark read everything but, dude, Mark is a freaking bowl of warm jello. He & Reva who apparently posts here need to know not everyone feels that way about them. And that someone is calling some of the previous comments over the line yes.

It's all art. Critique the art. Don't step on the artitst.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #93 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Part of my nature is to relieve someone's embarassment or stress. I think some people in this thread have clearly gone over the line with their comments about some of my Cake Buddies.

Saying a cake doesn't have clean lines, that there's mistakes is one thing. Calling people sloppy and messy and uncaring, 'don't give a squat' is over the line in a big way.

AND--on ChrisG's lavendar cake, Margie suggests making smaller pots and he won't have anything to do with that. Then later he had to cut them down considerably in order for them to fit. He got onto Margie on camera about the leaves being too dark but a Wilton 1 student could figure out the pots were too big for the ledge.

It's ok to respectfully critique someone's work.

But it will never be ok with me for some of the comments in this thread to stand without me covering for the CakeBuddies being slammed in some cases.

This thread is a pandora's box, if you don't want to go back & forth that's your decision.

I hope Reva & Mark read everything but, dude, Mark is a freaking bowl of warm jello. He & Reva who apparently posts here need to know not everyone feels that way about them. And that someone is calling some of the previous comments over the line yes.

Yes, I donât want to go back and forth with this because like I said, we wonât agree on our perspectives and its best to leave it at that. I think you have made your point and I have made mine.

People have a right to express themselves. Yes, we have to be careful with how we say things and we have to say it in a tactful way. But we also have to be tactful on the other end about their comments as well.

Letâs move on please.

I really appreciate everyoneâs input on sharing your views on Amazing Wedding Cakes.

We all agree that there are some things we donât like and some things we like. It is an excellent show and I think we can learn a lot from them.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:16am
post #94 of 118
Quote:

Word!! icon_biggrin.gif

I couldn't agree more! Especially since what we see of the artists on Amazing Wedding Cakes has so much scripting it might as well not even be considered a reality show.

Nobody really believes that every week each cake company has a couple come in for the initial consultation for a wedding cake that is due in 3 days.

It's also incredibly obvious when a "tragedy" is about to happen. The spilling of food coloring onto cakes, the cracking of fondant pieces, the lifting of a cake until it cracks in the back, Marjerie making a boatload of leaves the right color and the deciding to make just 1 a much darker color, etc are so obviously scripted by the producers at WETV. You can see the flinch right before the big spill comes or the obvious additional pressure right before the fondant piece breaks. They wouldn't be able to admit it because of of their contracts but I would bet that 90% of the time the "tragedy" is producer induced.

I have even noticed that a few of the cakes delivered aren't the cake we saw them make! One of the cakes showed a picture of the couple standing next to their obviously buttercream frosted cake at the wedding (probably done 2 years ago)... yet the cake they made for all of us to see on TV was covered in fondant with a few other slight differences.

It kinda sucks for the cakers on the show because it makes it look like they have a tragedy or screw up on every single cake. All of the scripted conversations make them look kinda stuffy as well. I guess the producers think they need that stuff for ratings and maybe they do, but I'd really like to see the cast just free to be themselves.... until then I will do as K8 says and judge the art, not the artist. icon_biggrin.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #95 of 118

Yes, and I agree with you on the part about the cake artists not being portrayed at their best on this shows. They want ratings so lets show the disasters and problems they go through.

Actually, that's exactly what I was trying to convey. I was making a crticisim on their style of decorating, not on them as a person.

Thank you for sharing your comments.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:05pm
post #96 of 118

when i watch the cake contest shows, i alway's notice the fondant being patched so i don't feel so bad when i get a lump.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #97 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

when i watch the cake contest shows, i alway's notice the fondant being patched so i don't feel so bad when i get a lump.

thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:14pm
post #98 of 118

It's funny how different people's tastes are!!! Most people on this thread said they don't care too much for Laurie at Cake Alchemy. I, on the other hand, am always SO excited when she's featured on an episode!

She does lovely work, and she has a great rapport with her staff. She mentors them, is always so calm, never criticizes and uses their mistakes to teach them something. I think she's terrific!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #99 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

It's funny how different people's tastes are!!! Most people on this thread said they don't care too much for Laurie at Cake Alchemy. I, on the other hand, am always SO excited when she's featured on an episode!

She does lovely work, and she has a great rapport with her staff. She mentors them, is always so calm, never criticizes and uses their mistakes to teach them something. I think she's terrific!

I love her stuff too. And she has one of the best management styles with her employees too--I couldn't agree more.

Especially in light of how the editing went with her previous partner and her always looking as if she was rolling her eyes at Lauri. Ouch. Since they are no longer together, maybe it wasn't all in the editing huh. But they did have far different styles that could have made a powerful partnership design wise.

She certainly loves to do the cutting edge stuff too. I think Lauri's amazing.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:47pm
post #100 of 118

I love to see Laurie's sugar work. She is the only I've seen so far that uses the cake ring to assemble her layers. Pretty neat!

JGMB Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #101 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

She is the only I've seen so far that uses the cake ring to assemble her layers. Pretty neat!

What is the cake ring?

MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #102 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

She is the only I've seen so far that uses the cake ring to assemble her layers. Pretty neat!

What is the cake ring?

Its a big metal ring that you can use to place your layers and keep them nice and even...

Here's a picture.
LL

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #103 of 118

Instead of stocking and storing a gazillion different sizes and shapes of cake pans, they probably use only sheet pans to bake and cut out the different shapes and sizes they need and assemble the cakes in rings like these.

They are in New York of course where space is a real premium--I think she's in Manhattan too?

MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #104 of 118
Quote:

Instead of stocking and storing a gazillion different sizes and shapes of cake pans, they probably use only sheet pans to bake and cut out the different shapes and sizes they need and assemble the cakes in rings like these.

They are in New York of course where space is a real premium--I think she's in Manhattan too?

I am not sure, but yes, I have seen them cut out the shapes they need. LIke on the episode where they did the hexagon cake? She cut a board to the size they needed and then cut out the cake to that shape.

Pretty neat!! I don't have hexagon shapes.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #106 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

Christopher Garren's irks me sooooo much!!! Everyone seems like they are working to impress "daddy" and it creeps me out. Their finished products are good, but I just can't stand the dynamic....and all that fake, nervous laughter. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif And the shop is so cluttered!!! ugh! I FF thorough most of his segments.
As for Merci, I aree that their stuff is....less than perfect....but I give them props for enjoying their work. Sometimes I wish I could let go a little and enjoy the process. icon_rolleyes.gif
Cake Girls...good stuff. Not perfect, but pretty darn good for the cake medium! I certainly can't do any better!
My only wish is that they would mention exactly how long each cake takes and how much they cost. I can't tell you how many friends think I can do the same thing (which I can't) in about 2 hours and for $20. tapedshut.gif

I am begging these show to talk price. I and am sure everyone else has the same problem I am 1 1/2 hours from Charm City Cakes, and people ask all the time for products like his. Wen I explain that I am one person, not 20, and then give them a quote, which is a fraction of Duff's they pretty much hang up on me! Why can't they talk money on the shows!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #107 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

Christopher Garren's irks me sooooo much!!! Everyone seems like they are working to impress "daddy" and it creeps me out. Their finished products are good, but I just can't stand the dynamic....and all that fake, nervous laughter. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif And the shop is so cluttered!!! ugh! I FF thorough most of his segments.
As for Merci, I aree that their stuff is....less than perfect....but I give them props for enjoying their work. Sometimes I wish I could let go a little and enjoy the process. icon_rolleyes.gif
Cake Girls...good stuff. Not perfect, but pretty darn good for the cake medium! I certainly can't do any better!
My only wish is that they would mention exactly how long each cake takes and how much they cost. I can't tell you how many friends think I can do the same thing (which I can't) in about 2 hours and for $20. tapedshut.gif

I am begging these show to talk price. I and am sure everyone else has the same problem I am 1 1/2 hours from Charm City Cakes, and people ask all the time for products like his. Wen I explain that I am one person, not 20, and then give them a quote, which is a fraction of Duff's they pretty much hang up on me! Why can't they talk money on the shows!

I believe that I've heard if not on the show on someone that placed an order from Duff, that they don't do cakes less than $500.00. So, that's the minimum order they will take.

Have you checked their website? Some of them have prices on them.

JGMB Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #108 of 118

One thing I did notice on the Ultimate Cake-Off was Norm Davis explaining that professional bakers would much rather do one large cake than several mini cakes. He said that the minis are a pain.

That, at least, should give some customers a little insight as to why minis are expensive!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #109 of 118
Quote:

I believe that I've heard if not on the show on someone that placed an order from Duff, that they don't do cakes less than $500.00. So, that's the minimum order they will take.

Have you checked their website? Some of them have prices on them.[/quote]

I think the last time I heard was that CCC price is a minimum of $1000 now. They upped it from their $500 minimum charge.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #110 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

Have you checked their website? Some of them have prices on them.

I think the last time I heard was that CCC price is a minimum of $1000 now. They upped it from their $500 minimum charge.[/quote]

Wow!! that's a lot!! I guess I can't get my birthday cake from them then. icon_biggrin.gif

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #111 of 118

I also have a client that called them first, and said that whoever answered the phone was so rude and condescending, that she hung up. They were going on about minimums and scheduling. I understand they probably get a ton of looky loos, but they lost at least one client due to the attitude. It must be a tough position to be in.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #112 of 118

Since starting to watch this show, I can't tell you how many times I have paused the DVR and then slowly forwarded to see how they do things. I wish they would show more of the cutting, constructing, filling, crumb coating, explaining flavorings, etc. Their cakes sides are soooo straight and smooth.

I for one would love to work at M.B. it has got to be a blast working with Mark, I don't think we have seen his true talent yet. Merci Beacoup seems to have the un-stressed atmosphere that the other shows don't have.

For all their mistakes, thats one less mistake (hopefully) for me.

ROCK ON Merci Beacoup, Christopher Garren, Cake Alchemi and don't you just love Mary's eyes at Cake girls.

Keep teaching me!!

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #113 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

what bugs me the most is how repetative it is:

first scene: something will happen

next scene: someone will explain what just happened icon_rolleyes.gif

final scene: they will discuss it some more. icon_cry.gif

get on with it !!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I totally agree.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #114 of 118

cake alchemy is my favorite. i love the flowers! sometimes they show how she achieves some of the looks.

i'll chime in and agree that they should cut the drama and focus on the technique.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #115 of 118

Did anyone see the "peacock cake" that MB did? It was what promted my other thread that sent me here... It was pretty from far away, but it made it seem like the owner (don't know her name) doesn't really have any attention to detail. The top teir was so sloppy and lopsided I thought she'd re-do it. Then she messed up a wedding cake that was mid-evil themed. I couldn't believe she just dropped the brush like that. Yes they fixed it, but it was a silly mistake the way it happened, it was so careless.

As for mentioning prices. I remember duff mentioning that they were lucky because the show paid enough that they could take less cakes and not have to charge so much per cake! And it still has a 1000 min order! Geese! But he's cool and they have a great shop dinamic, at least on tv.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #116 of 118

After reading through all 8 pages, I'll chime in on a few things:

1. Not that I would want to take money out of these peoples' hands, but I'd like to see these television studios focus on a variety of people throughout the country. Love Lori's and Cake Girls' work, but...they were all on Food NetWork at some point in time. Love Merci Beaucoup, but they're a spin-off of last season. Lori, too, is a spin-off from last season. Cake Girls returned. Why not showcase other talent from around the country? Same thing with Wedding Wars and Ultimate Cake Challenge...Very talented people...Some are even good friends of mine...But, again, people from Food Network now on TLC..Some are on multiple challenges...Again, why not spread the wealth around?

2. Cake Alchemy had some interesting concepts: a. She showed how to make Birds of Paradise from a real flower. That was c ool how she dissected the real thing to make the sugar flower. I've been paying more attention to the detail of real flowers. b. The cake rings were incredible. I tried it. Don't like the waste from baking half-sheets, so back to round pans. Does it appear that the ring for layering is like a springform pan that can adjust to several sizes? If so, where would you get it?

Paul

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #117 of 118

[quote="PieceofCakeAZNobody really believes that every week each cake company has a couple come in for the initial consultation for a wedding cake that is due in 3 days.
[/quote]

This really bothers me!

Sugar_Kitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Kitty Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #118 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

Did anyone see the "peacock cake" that MB did? It was what promted my other thread that sent me here... It was pretty from far away, but it made it seem like the owner (don't know her name) doesn't really have any attention to detail. The top teir was so sloppy and lopsided I thought she'd re-do it. .

I couldn't believe when I saw that. I also thought that being on a show their cakes should be better finished. I am a beginner but I notice that in many of their cakes :^(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%