How Do You Cut Your Cakes Portions?

Decorating By crouton800 Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 3:03am by SquirrellyCakes

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:48am
post #1 of 4

Hi Ladies,
would like to find out how you cut your cake portions for round cakes?

Do you
A) move in 2" from the outer edge and cut across. Then slice 1" X 2" pieces of cake until the entire tier is cut. Meaning cut it in little rectangles and the rounded edges are left as a funny circular triangle. ( I see people cutting round cakes..esp birthday, special occasion cakes like this more often now)

OR

B) To cut, move in 2" from the outer edge; cut a circle and slice 1" pieces within the circle. Now move in another 2", cut another circle, slice 1" pieces, and so on until the tier is cut. The center cores and small top tier can be cut into halves, 4ths, 6ths, etc. depending on size. I believe this is the proper and traditional way of doing it?

I like to see the rectangle slices from choice A) on the plate but realise that the cirular sides are not too nice. either you're gonna love getting more frosting or hate having half your portion being frosting!!

Thank you!!

3 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:01am
post #2 of 4

go to the Wilton website and you should be able to find the diagrams for the cake shape you want.

Debbi

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:08am
post #3 of 4

I usually do it the "Wilton Way" because it's easier for me. I know that Earlene's website has a diagram, too.

Lisa

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:03am
post #4 of 4

I do it both ways but I must admit I prefer to do the round the circle routine because the pieces seem to me to be more uniform. However cutting straight across is faster.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%