Buttercream Not Smooth

Decorating By carmycakes Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm by carmycakes

carmycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

Help, the BC does not look smooth once on the cake. It then starts to harden and is hard to spread. How can i get it looking smooth?

thanks

7 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried chilling the cake and using a warmed spatula?

carmycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks. So after I frost, I chill the cake or chill cake before frosting? This is my first time ever making and using BC.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 8

What you do is frost the cake as you wish...get it as smooth as you can. Then, put it in the fridge for about 10-15 mins (no longer) and when you pull your cake out get some really hot water into a large cup, dip your spatula in it, tap off excess water, then smooth away! You will be amazed at how well this works.

Good luck on your first BC cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 8

First I dont know if you have a crusting BC....but if you do, you the hot spatula method, then get a VIVA paper towel and put it on to your cake and smooth with you hands first before using the fondant smoother on the VIVA paper towel, I then do my final smoothing with computer paper. Apply the computer paper onto your cake and get your fondant smoother and smooth it out with that. You can apply generous pressure, but not too much. You will see all the grease from the icing (if shortening was used in your BC) on the paper, once the paper starts sticking to the cake get a new paper. I learned this method from sugarshacks videos...you should really invest in her videos. I think the key is to start out with a smooth BC, with virtually no air bubbles in it. I attached a link to Ednas you tube video showing how to ice a cake and small clip of how sugarshack buttercreams her cake

carmycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the tips. I actually tried the Wilton BC recipe which does call for Crisco and it does seems to crust up after a while. Is there a better recipe to use?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 8

I recommend the Crusting BC recipe found here on CC. The only thing about that one though is you can't use the new Crisco...you have to find yourself an off brand of shortening that has Trans Fat in it

carmycakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks. how long should BC sit before adding fondant? After fondant is applied, do I leave out or put in the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%