The Best Way To Freeze A Cake

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm by ladybug76

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 10

I have about four cakes (about 10-12 2" cakes, all together) to bake and decorate for family and friends this month, and I thought I could just bake a bunch this week, and the thaw them as I need to decorate, but I have no idea how to do this.

We froze our wedding cake and it tasted like crap, if that gives you any indication, lol.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for the full process...how to wrap, what to wrap it up with, etc. I don't plan on icing any of them before hand, so that's not an issue.

My biggest fear is freezer burn. Our freezer is bad about that, so anyway to prevent it, and prevent me from having to re-bake would be awesome.

TIA!!!

9 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 10

When I freeze them I wrap them in 3-4 layers of plastic wrap and make sure that there is no place that is not touchng the cake. I then wrap them in 2 layers of foil. In most cases I find that if frozen right after baking they are more moist when I use them then the "fresh" cakes.

I also use a sharpy or whatever to write the flavor, size and date on the outside of the cake so I know what I have at any point. HTH!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 10

Do one wrap, turn 90deg wrap again, repeat till your comfortabe it's wrapped.

Mike

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 10

If you are only going to have the cakes in the freezer for a few days, no more than 5 to 7 days, I suggest wrapping in plastic wrap just as Mike explained. I do this with most every cake I make and the cakes always come out of the freezer in great condition!
If they will be in the freezer longer than 7 days I would wrap in plastic very well and then wrap in a couple of layers of foil.
icon_smile.gif

KatieDenson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieDenson Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 10

How long to they stay good in the freezer if wrapped properly?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 10

KatieDenison......I really can't answer because I never keep cakes in the freezer longer than 3 to 5 days.
Just guessing I would say maybe up to 1 month if the cakes were wrapped VERY well.
In October/November I do start baking holiday loaf breads and sticking them in the freezer using the plastic wrap and foil for protection. I bake enough up to last through New Years and the first one is as good as the last one coming out of the freezer. icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you sooo much! I will definitely do this. This might also be a good time to start talking to DH about that upright freezer I want to get. icon_wink.gif

KatieDenson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieDenson Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 10

Teekakes- Thanks soo much! I will only need to freeze for about 5 days so this is great to know! Thanks again!

sarah54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah54 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 10

When you take them out of the freezer do you just let them come room temperature on there own? How long does that take?

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 10

You would want the cakes to come to room temperature prior to unwrapping, which should only take a few hours. I also remember reading previously that if you are using a freezer with with other food items, you may wish to place cakes (after wrapped in Saran wrap, etc). in brown bags to prevent any odors from obsorbing into your nice cake!!!
~ Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%