Chocolate Cake Help

Baking By candyapplekc Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm by candyapplekc

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all, I am trying to come up with a recipe for a chocolate cake that is either very dark brown to black on the inside with out sacrificing moistness and taste. I am starting to wonder if that is what a "black forest" cake is and since I've never had one I don't really know. I have read about many that is considered dark chocolate cakes but they aren't black enough. How do I achieve this with both a box mix and/or scratch recipe?

5 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC candyapplekc -

Are you using a good quality cocoa - that is not only rich in flavour but rich in colour?
I use the Equagold Dutch Cocoa - which is very dark - and gives a wonderuful rich colour to cakes and the cookies i make.
That real deep chocolate colour -
Not sure where you live - but perhaps look around for the best cocoa you can find -

Bluehue.
This link will show you the one i use.

http://www.equagold.co.nz/p_cocoa.php

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 6

I use the hershey recipe off of the hershey cocoa can. It comes out pretty dark. You could also try the hershey dark choc. cocoa. I'm sure someone will come along with another suggestion.

candyapplekc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your help! I was searching around some more and found other CCer's that wanted the same thing I guess and came across the Mud Cake threads. I think this is what I'm looking for. I live in Maryland and there's not nough specialty bake stores here I believe.

I had this cake at a wedding and wanted to try and make it myself. The baker also had choc chips in it if I remember correctly. It was sooooo delicious and moist. I asked a friend to ask her if she would share her recipe...........haven't heard anything yet icon_sad.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 6

This Mud Cake Recipe from Planet Cake is excellant.
So moist - so rich - so chocolatey (if thats a word icon_lol.gif )

It is probably the most widely used recipe over here in Australia.
Try it - i am sure you will be thrilled with the end result.

Bluehue.

Mud Cake
500ml water
600g sugar
250g dark chocolate
375g butter unsalted
320g plain flour
60g self raising flour
40g cocoa powder
3 eggs lightly beaten

Preheat oven to moderately slow. (160°C)
Grease a 20cm square cake tin, line base and line the sides with baking paper.
Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the chopped chocolate and the butter. Stir constantly until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
Sift the flours and cocoa powder together, gently fold into the mixture.
Fold in eggs one at a time until smooth.
Poor the mixture into prepared pan.
Bake in a moderately slow oven for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. To test insert a skewer into the cake when it comes out clean the cake is ready.

Nb Let the cake completely cool before removing it from the tin.

candyapplekc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks I'll try it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%