Stabilizing Whipped Cream With Gelatin

Decorating By StarbucksAddict Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 10:37am by majka_ze

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:11am
post #1 of 3

I have a great whipped cream recipe--whipping cream, a little sugar, vanilla. Yum! It was great for my blackforest cake, until it got in the car and 6 miles down the road, and the little swirls the cherries were sitting in start sliding off and down the side of the cake. Oh well, just cover the top with foil and gun it for the next hour. Arrived, tossed in the freezer--wasn't as bad as it could have been. But considering it is a hospital science lab with lots of guys and heck, free cake... NO COMPLAINTS! Sliced wonderfully.

But I'd like to not have a repeat this week. I don't want a whipped cream butter cream.

I heard someone added gelatin to their whipped cream to gel it up some and make it more stable. How would I go about that?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:24am
post #2 of 3

I've found that piping gel makes the easiest way to add gelatin to whipping cream.

However if you beat your whipping cream long enough it will not weep and break down without any other stabilizers. Of course whipped cream turns to butter if you get carried away--but just before the butter stage is lovely stable whipped cream--will not weep or break down.

And when you do beat it, beat it from medium to high--graduate the power level of the mixer. Because you want to be sure that all the moisture is getting happy together--if you start out on high you can potentially miss a few water drops that can cause you grief later.

So give it some time to whip on easier speeds and get thick then ramp it up. Of course you add your sugar and vanilla after soft peaks.

Stable thoughts for you.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:37am
post #3 of 3

There are two ways how to do it: Beat the whipped cream and add gelatin after it, or mix gelatin in whipping cream, chill until it starts to gel and then whip.
http://baking.about.com/cs/hintsandtips/ht/stabilizewhip.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%