Pricing

Decorating By mbark Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm by dnrlee

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #1 of 14

Hi all,
Pricing cakes is one of the most challenging aspects of cake decorating. What would you price this one at? It is 8/9/10" supposed to feed 40+ at a party. Buttercream with fondant accents. Doctored cake mixes w/different flavored fillings. I charged $150...
LL

13 replies
sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:47am
post #2 of 14

Hi mbark I have know idea on price just want to say your looks great.sammie

MissTiaraBrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissTiaraBrand Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:36am
post #3 of 14

That is a VERY cool cake!

mbark Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 14

thank you very much. I was just curious what others thought, I think the price is pretty right-on, my MIL thought it was too low.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 14

The 8/9/10 feeds 20/24/28 party servings, if you go by the Wilton chart. Thats 72 servings. That gives you just over $2.08 a serving. So, if you are happy with that, you did well.

mbark Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

The 8/9/10 feeds 20/24/28 party servings, if you go by the Wilton chart. Thats 72 servings. That gives you just over $2.08 a serving. So, if you are happy with that, you did well.

an 8" feeds 20? I was thinking more of 10/15/20 servings out of those tiers. hmmm

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 14

DO NOt go by the party serving chart, cause that is gonna lose you money. #1 it's based off single layers not double, which unless your doing a sheet cake, your cakes are double layer. A "wedding" serving is a nice size peice of cake. It can also get confusing doing "party" and "wedding" servings with your prices. Heck, the cake you made is the size of a wedding cake. Why should the servings be different? An 8-9-10 is 94 servings. For that cake I get a price of $410, $5 a serving. There is a lot of work on that cake. You WAY undercharged for that cake.

mbark Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 14

dang! ok, I will know better next time. thanks so much for your help. BTW the diamonds & black pearls on the middle layer took forever! that alone gave me a hint I should have charged more.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 14

And it was that middle layer that upped the price for me! That middle layer is a PIA to do, zebra stripes not so much. Beautiful cake by the way. Can I tell you one more thing. Don't worry about losing clients due to pricing. If they have a problem with it, they are not the clients for you.

mbark Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

And it was that middle layer that upped the price for me! That middle layer is a PIA to do, zebra stripes not so much. Beautiful cake by the way. Can I tell you one more thing. Don't worry about losing clients due to pricing. If they have a problem with it, they are not the clients for you.

yes, I totally agree, that middle layer took 5x as long as the zebra. thanks so so much for your input! =)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:

DO NOt go by the party serving chart, cause that is gonna lose you money. #1 it's based off single layers not double, which unless your doing a sheet cake, your cakes are double layer. A "wedding" serving is a nice size peice of cake. It can also get confusing doing "party" and "wedding" servings with your prices. Heck, the cake you made is the size of a wedding cake. Why should the servings be different? An 8-9-10 is 94 servings. For that cake I get a price of $410, $5 a serving. There is a lot of work on that cake. You WAY undercharged for that cake.

Yep. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Yep. icon_smile.gif

ditto.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 14

Consider me corrected. icon_redface.gif

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #14 of 14

Dang - this means that I way under charged for the cake that I'm working on for this weekend icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%