Black Luster Dust

Decorating By hannahbananz Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm by jlynnw

hannahbananz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannahbananz Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 10

I am going to make a wedding cake her in a couple of weeks and i wanted to make a ribbon on it out of fondant. I was going to use black luster dust to paint on the fondant ribbon to make it look more realistic but i canot find it in stock anywhere. plz help.
thanks!

9 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 10

Hi hannahbananz, welcome to cake central
I think I saw black luster dust at Michaels, I think that is where but did you try google and just type in black luster dust HTH

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 10

Welcome to CC -
I Googled Black Luster Dust and found this site for you - It is Charcol - might that help.

http://www.kitchengifts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LUDUS&Category_Code=

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

hannahbananz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannahbananz Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks and i looked in micheals but couldnt find luster dust. Plenty of others but not luster. Maybe it goes by another name.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #5 of 10

Michaels doesn't sell luster dust. They only carry the wilton products and that won't work very well.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 10

this is petal dust which is more matte than luster, but i didn't see any black luster.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=534&SubCatId=1106&productId=2331

Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 10

I am wondering why you think the luster dust will make it look more like a "real" ribbon? I make the ribbons quite a bit, I just roll them out with shortning instead of p/s or cornstarch. (that way they don't have that dusty look to them) They are nice and satiny when I put them together. The one I just did this last week looks like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1467595

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 10

I so cheat on this all the time. I get the pearl luster dust, lots of it. I mix up my airbrush color or color my vodka/extract and mix with the pearl luster. Viola, I know have the right color luster to match. It works great for just about everything. You can wrap the cake with wax paper and airbrush the ribbon, let it set and then stack your cake. I use the wax paper becuase my airbrush sometimes gets where it shouldn't. Equipment error, right? icon_confused.gif

Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 10

I am not thinking pearl on black would look right? It would give it a silvery, pearly sheen, IMO. I have the americolor "sheen" airbrush set, and they don't even have a black in that. That would work in most other colors though. (which is why I bought the sheen set, so I didn't have to keep mixing the pearl in everything!......I LOVE pearl!)

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I am not thinking pearl on black would look right? It would give it a silvery, pearly sheen, IMO. I have the americolor "sheen" airbrush set, and they don't even have a black in that. That would work in most other colors though. (which is why I bought the sheen set, so I didn't have to keep mixing the pearl in everything!......I LOVE pearl!)

Mix a heavier black with the pearl so you have a BLACK, real black paint with the lustery look. I love the americolor sheen as well! I like mixing some of my unusual colors that don't come in sheen to match the rest. I guess it is all a matter of what will work and testing. I did try using black dust (ECG supplies) with a touch of pearl and that gave it a bit of shine to it without going silver. Would getting the fondant wet with water or vodka give it the satin shine?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%