Cake Mixes

Decorating By whit6 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm by bbmom

hluterbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hluterbach Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #31 of 40

i only use pillsbury and although it says it has pudding in the mix i always add an extra egg and a box of pudding along with whatever the box says to add. i haven't really tried the other box mixes but i don't see a need to because the pillsbury is sooooo good. everyone loves it.
heidi

emily42897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emily42897 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #32 of 40

Oh, I meant to say the Aldi mixes are 89cents. But if Pilsbury is 88 cents at Wal-Mart that's great. I truly think the Aldi mixes are one of the brands repackaged.

FYI - I tried Save-a-Lot mix and it was terrible! It rose up completely out of the pan and cracked and it was terribly dry and gross.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:29pm
post #33 of 40

DH and I were talking about Aldi's. I told him I read on cc that they repackage name brand foods. He said he heard the same thing a while back on the news. I never knew that!

emily42897 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #34 of 40

Yeah, I shop at Aldi all the time. There are only a couple of things I don't care for.

sinstl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinstl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #35 of 40

Same here, I shop at Aldi a lot. Their cake mixes are great and so much of their other stuff (flour, sugar, ps, sour cream) I use to bake is just so much cheaper.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #36 of 40

I do half of my shopping at Aldi's, like boxed items, flour, sugar etc... and I buy all my meats, produce and frozen foods at krogers. We save alot of money that way. I have even converted some friends and family!

yiyo21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yiyo21 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #37 of 40

i have to do a cake for 200 ppl, and i was thinking that it may be cheaper to do it from a box mix ( according to my calculations based on a 8" round cake)... but im not sure how many boxes would i need for that huge!! cake!!so... any help????

emily42897 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #38 of 40

Yiyo

I use this chart. The WASC Original recipe cake (which is so fabulous I cannot say enough about it) makes approx 7 cups of batter.
Click on the link below.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Good luck!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:51pm
post #39 of 40

If I use a mix (I do some mix some scratch) I use mostly DH, but recently I made the self filled choc cc recipe (has cream cheese filling baked in-was woonderfulll!) and I loved the choc. fudge mix from BC. The recipe is worth a try-it's here on cc.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #40 of 40

I usually buy whatever brand is 89cents at wal-mart. last time I was in Target they had pillsbury classic white for 53cents a box...needless to say I bought the last 5 boxes and went up to get a raincheck. The clerk told me that's their regular price. I don't do many cakes(mostly cookies) so I haven't had a chance to check back. But if you're near a target you might want to check it out. Oh I never just make the box plain either I use the kakeladi version of WASC but with just vanilla so I call it "vanilla cream".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%